Re: Rio Vista

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jul 05 1995 - 13:33:50 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Rio Vista
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 13:33:50 -0700 (PDT)

'Karver, Eric says:'
> I'm planning to sail Rio Vista this Sat. morning for the first time
> and am hoping that someone can help me with the following:
>
> - How do I get there from the City?

>From San Francisco? Bay Bridge to North 80. 80 to 4 East. 4 becomes
160 North. Once you are over the bridge and onto Sherman Island, you hit
the Sacramento and the road goes right. At that point, you turn left
onto Sherman Island road to get to the advanced spots. Right takes
you to downtown Rio Vista and some of the intermediate/beginner spots.

> Where am I going? How long of a
> drive?

Maybe 1 1/2 hours

> Where do I park?

Depends on the site. If you go to Sherman Island, the best place in
terms of parking is probably Powerlines, which is easily identifiable
by the two *huge* powerlines that cross the river at that point.
There is a camping area next to the base of the leftmost powerline
that has parking.

> Any shops nearby?

In the town of Rio Vista. There are two windsurf shops as well, one
at the junction of 160 and Sherman Island road.

> - What time does the wind pick up?

6am-9am, then from 3pm on, usually.

> Is there a Windtalker ?

916-777-7007

> What
> conditions in the City are indicative of early wind at Rio?

You are knee deep in fog, and the fog extends over Berkeley into the
Carquinez area.

> - Any novice sites for my girlfriend?

Go east on 160 *past* the bridge to enter Rio Vista. After a mile or
so there is an extremely small park (Windy Cove? Can't remember the
name) that offers a sheltered shallow lagoon prior to the main river
entrance.

By the way, Saturday is going to be a rough day for delta sailing.
There will be strong floods in the morning and late afternoon. It is
very hard to fight against a strong flood at Rio unless you have your
jibes down or are able to point strongly upwind. Going upwind on
starboard at Powerlines is a bit tricky because of the way you cut
right into steep swell.

--
Will Estes                              U.S. Computer
Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis                POB 3150