RE: Crissy Field Report

From: David O. Hoagland (hoagland@sfgate.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jun 26 1995 - 12:35:15 PDT

Date: Mon, 26 Jun 95 12:35:15 PDT
From: "David O. Hoagland" <hoagland@sfgate.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: Crissy Field Report
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

>EQUIPMENT FAILURE STORY; While sailing towards the North Tower I heard a
>metallic SNAP and looked up to see my 2 year old Chinook boom completely
>sheared about 3 inches behind the rear harness line. Luckily I was able to flip
>the sail and was fully powered all the way back to the beach, under escort by
>the lovely Diane Younger :) Question: Should the Boom have broken in this spot?
>It doesn't seem to be high stress point. Does Chinook have a warranty?

Another rescue story:

        Sunday was a truly great day off Crissy. I launched from the East (normal)
side and immediately proceeded to the Gate where I sailed 3.5 hours straight. Totally
powered on a 5.5 Prisma and Electron CHS, it was the first time I truly felt dialed in on this
board. When I was pretty much totally exhausted, I decided to head for the beach. Against
my better judgement I tried to sneak in upwind of Anita rock. (I should have headed for the
Coast Guard launch and hitched a ride back down to my car). I knew I was in for it when
the wind died abruptly about 500 yards out from the beach. To slog on the Electron it is
pretty much neccessary to place one foot in front of the mast, which worked for another 100
yards or so but then it was down for the swim. Instead of swimming the board I decided
to tow it with my safety line attached to the eyelet in the nose. This arrangement works
great! I was able to alternately breastroke, sidestroke and backstroke in to the beach while
towing the board ten feet behind. The water felt good, the current was negligible and
being able to swim freely made the experience enjoyable. I made excellent time and
could have swum much farther using this method, had it been necessary. I recommend
this method the next time you are facing a long swim.

Name: David O. Hoagland San Francisco Newspaper Agency
E-mail: hoagland@sfgate.com-DeleteThis Tel (415) 477-7422
06/26/95 12:35:15