(no subject)

From: BENJAMIN_CRISTI%novell.com@novell.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed Jun 21 1995 - 09:49:50 PDT

From: BENJAMIN_CRISTI%novell.com@novell.com-DeleteThis
Date: ,
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

        with Novell_GroupWise; Wed, 21 Jun 1995 12:42:47 -0600
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 1995 10:45:01 -0600
From: BENJAMIN_CRISTI@novell.com-DeleteThis (Ben Cristi)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: right of way -Reply

  There seems to be 2 interpretations.
  1. Person going out the break has right of way over person coming in.
Period.

ABSOLUTELY! BUT...SEE BELOW

  2. Person going out has right of way UNLESS person coming in is
actively riding the face of a wave. This second definition I have heard
on multiple occasions. However it would seem to be problematic since
usually both the person going out and coming in are going to be aiming
for the clean part of a face (especially on the Wadell double close outs).

 NO NO NO

  Does there seem to be any concensus among people you know or
have "encountered"? Yes, but a lot of sailors still don't know.

In the event of a collision, the sailor going out would always have right of
way, and not be at fault. The sailor riding the wave has more
maneuverability, speed, and less chance of getting munched.

HOWEVER, THE GENERAL RULE OF COURTESY IS: Avoid the sailor
riding the wave when possible. Let him/her enjoy the wave. They're sure
to return the favor sometime. The only time I hold course is when the only
other option is getting munched.

 Does the person who babysits a swell from the outside to the inside
own the wave since they were "on" it first?

YES, that sailor took the trouble to sail outside, catch a swell and ride it
in. It's way easier to just jibe on or in front of a wave.

Or can somebody snap jibe right onto the swell closer in and then claim
it over a person who has been sailing on top of it?

NO, then everyone would sail in a pack and try jibing just upwind of their
buddies on the next wave, total chaos, out of control tempers, etc would
result.

Basic Rules: (per Dana Dawes, Craig Maisonville, Dave Ezzy and others)

1. Sailor going out always has right of way, but...(see above)
1a. This holds true for a place like Diamond Head where it's port tack
going out. Even past the break, you do not revert to open ocean sailing
rules, where starboard ordinarily would have right of way.

2. Sailor that catches the wave first owns the wave, even if it was only
a swell when he caught it.

3. If several sailors catch a wave at the exact same time, the sailor
closest to the peak has right of way. If it's hard to tell where the peak is,
then the sailor furthest upwind owns the wave.

4. Multiple peaks on the same wave (this happens at Davenport a lot).
Say I just finished riding my wave, and another peak forms in line with
my wave. If someone is already on it I give way. This is a grey area, I
don't know who has right of way.

Ben