Re: Danger with Chinook bases--bolts loosen

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jun 19 1995 - 10:13:50 PDT

Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 10:13:50 -0700
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, DPBRENN@pbsrv04.isp.PacBell.COM-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Danger with Chinook bases--bolts loosen

> There are a couple of types of Locktite, use the Locktite that comes it the
> Red tube. Speaking of; I need to change out my U-joints on a couple of
> Chinooks, anyone know the best way to break a "red locktite" seal?

If I remember right, the red Locktite is a permanent adhesive, and the blue
is made to be "broken", if you need to disassemble the bolt. I've been using
the blue for years, and have never had one come apart. In fact, I've only had
a universal bolt come apart on me once, and it was a uni that I bought from
a shop, and they did not use Locktite.

As for breaking a "red Locktite" seal, if it's a seal between the bolt and
hour glass, you may end up destroying the rubber before the seal will break.
I use a large Channellock wrench to hold the rubber hour glass. I wrap a piece
of rag or duct tape around the hour glass (to protect it), then loosen the
bolt with a socket wrench. It's pretty tough breaking the blue Locktite, like
I said, it may tear the rubber with red.

~Jim