Re: Broken Universal & Rescue (long)

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jun 14 1995 - 10:10:32 PDT

Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 10:10:32 -0700
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Broken Universal & Rescue (long)

> > I wonder if we could do some sort of a large survey, maybe thru
> > "Windsurfing", on how many hours equipment lasts so we can replace it
> > before it gets close to the -2 sigma breakdown time?
>
> This is a good idea. I had a harness line break on Sunday that looked
> fine. It failed right where my reactor bar hooks in. The line
> failed inside the undamaged plastic tube. I think I purchased them
> three seasons ago.
>
> My rule on aluminum masts is replace them after two years of use.
> I have not worked out a rule for carbon fiber ones.

This could be a tough call. There is soo much inconsistency amongst
windsurfing equipment, and the equipment is always changing, that it
would be difficult to come up with long term durability. Aluminum
corrodes rapidly in salt water, which weakens it. I stopped using
Al booms for this reason. The carbon booms I've had break, broke at
the aluminum fitting that connects the boom arms to the front end.
Everyone knows about Fibersnap's reputation, but yet a friend of mine
has a 5 year old Fiberspar carbon mast, that is so thread bare that
it's more grey than black, and it's his most used mast (waves, Crissy,
3rd, etc). I have a 3 year old Dynafiber mast that I was going to
replace this year, but then they upped their warranty to 5 years on
their new masts (but haven't changed the construction). So I'm going
to keep using it.

My advice on universals: look for Boge (Germany) hour glass uni's
(imprinted on the rubber). These are made from BMW engine mounts.
Avoid Windsurfing Hawaii hour glass uni's. W.H. products are fine, but
they went cheap on the hour glass, which deforms too easily, and
doesn't last. The tendon type uni's (Streamline?) are supposed to be
very durable, but I don't have any experience with them.

These are just my opinions, please don't be offended if I've stepped on
your brand loyalty ;-)

~Jim
Forsyth 9'2" slalom, Forsyth 8'10" bump/jump, 8'6" Clam Sandwich
Rushwind Race Sails (6.9-5.0)/Rushwind Convertibles (5.0-3.4)
Height 6'8", Weight 225lbs (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)