Re: Lost Windsurfer in SF Bay?

From: Wee, Kelly (kjw@merkle.baaqmd.gov-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jun 01 1995 - 13:04:30 PDT

Date: Thu, 01 Jun 95 12:04:30 pst
From: kjw@merkle.baaqmd.gov-DeleteThis (Wee, Kelly)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Lost Windsurfer in SF Bay?

     I was contacted by Lt Bill Leddy of USCG Golden Gate yesterday. He
     told me that the USCG would like to do more safety outreach to the
     windsurfers on the Peninsula following Sunday's incident. Evidently
     the Coast Guard did a by-the-book search and assumed the downed
     windsurfer would try to get back to side of the Bay he launched from.
     But instead he decided to go East after unsuccessfully trying West.
     He was equipped with three flares that either did not work, because
     they were expired or were not seen by passing boats. He ended up on
     the shore at the Oakland Airport, well after dark, running across the
     runways. He called his wife at 1:00 AM from the terminal.

     We hope to have the USCG at Third Ave Cleanup on June 17, 1995.

     As a reminder:

     EMERGENCY RESCUE
     Emergency Dial: 911
     Or US Coast Guard: (415) 556-2103
     1) Identify who you are & the number you are calling
        from. Stay by the phone and keep the rescuers
        informed as the situation progresses.
     2) Describe the person requiring rescue & provide a
        name of someone knowing the person.
     3) Maintain visual contact & report changes in location or
        success in the rescue effort.