Re: gorge rack board straps idea

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri May 12 1995 - 10:45:41 PDT

Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 10:45:41 -0700
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: gorge rack board straps idea

> From: Jeff Hodges <hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis>
> Dave Stuart contributed this one...
>
> get some rubber bungee-type cords. dispense with the hooks on the ends and
> substitute large split- (i.e. key-) rings (1.5" or larger). Put one end on the
> verticle bars, interspersed btwn the horizontal ones, with the cord being
> attached to the verticle one >below< the horizontal one it will hold a board
> on. Then pull the cords across the boards and hook the split ring over the
> bar-end thus strapping the board down.

I thought about doing something similiar to this in my van (my interior
van racks are modeled after Gorge Racks). What happens if you take a
turn too fast, the boards slide to the outside and push the split ring
off the bar end? The other problem I had with this setup was aligning
boards with fins. I offset my boards so that they clear the fin on the
board below. This requires some of the boards to be positioned at or
past the end of the bar end. Again, an open ring will not stay on the
bar.

What I ended up using was a bungee cord, that at one end, has the
standard metal hook, and the other end has a plastic, open hook, that
allows adjustment of the length of the bungee cord (kind of like a
buckle). I use two pair of these around all four boards, but you could
easily use a two pair for each board (one pair at each rack tower).
The metal hook is attached to a loop of rope around the riser of the
rack (permanently, bent the hook shut) above and below each board. Then
the two ends of the cords with the platic hooks are pulled to the
outside of the board, and hooked together. The plastic hooks can
adjust the length of the cords, which adjusts the tension of the bungee
cords. These bungee cords sell for ~$2 each at Redwood Trading Post, in
Redwood City. You can also buy a bag of the plastic hooks, and bulk
bungee cord off a spool, to create your own setup.

~Jim