gorge rack board straps idea

From: Jeff Hodges (hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri May 12 1995 - 09:58:39 PDT

Subject: gorge rack board straps idea
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri, 12 May 95 09:58:39 -0700
From: Jeff Hodges <hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis>

Dave Stuart contributed this one...

get some rubber bungee-type cords. dispense with the hooks on the ends and
substitute large split- (i.e. key-) rings (1.5" or larger). Put one end on the
verticle bars, interspersed btwn the horizontal ones, with the cord being
attached to the verticle one >below< the horizontal one it will hold a board
on. Then pull the cords across the boards and hook the split ring over the
bar-end thus strapping the board down.

I set this up last night. I used the heavy-duty black rubber cords. 31" long.
(only other choices were 54 or 12). seems to work great. can get boards on/off
individually quickly. I adj strap length by tying overhand knots in the straps
as needed. total cost for my 4-board rack: $19.96 (8 straps, 16 split-rings).
Dave uses (I believe) the lighter-duty cords and thus uses two cords per strap
location.

for $20 I can certainly try this for a season...

Jeff