Re: Tomales 3.0 dawn to dusk

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon May 08 1995 - 14:21:40 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Tomales 3.0 dawn to dusk
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 8 May 1995 14:21:40 -0700 (PDT)

'WindFinder@aol.com-DeleteThis says:'
> Very interesting weather pattern behind all of this wind. Little to do with
> our normal spring NW winds. The NGM and MRF computer models were dead
> accurate and allowed us at Windsight to forecast these winds 4 days in
> advance.

These are definitely some very bizarre patterns. I did a night hike
on Friday from China Camp to Pine Valley in Los Padres National
Forest. It snowed on us between 4000 and 4700 feet! Below 4000 it
was constant rain and strong wind. Most of the people in the group
were somewhat wet and had frozen hands by the time we were setting up
our tents around 11:00 p.m. Thank God for Goretex and fleece. Would
have eaten it without it, I think.

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis

P.S. The only thing scarier than head high swell at Third is hiking in the dark on a rocky trail that 12 inches wide with a steep drop on the other side, in 30+ mph winds and snow. Yikes...wish I had been windsurfing instead!