Tomales 3.0 dawn to dusk

From: WindFinder@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Sat May 06 1995 - 09:35:14 PDT

Date: Sat, 6 May 1995 12:35:14 -0400
From: WindFinder@aol.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Tomales 3.0 dawn to dusk

>From Mike Godsey
Tomales bay blew 2.6 to 3.0 starting at 7am this Thursday and Friday. The
wind was solid around 40 gusting 45 knots all day Thursday. RIgged a 3.0 when
I arrived at at 8 a.m. never had to re-rig. left around 4 pm while the
afterwork crew was rigging 3.0 sails. I weigh 185lbs and was on 7'9" sinker.
Could not beach start from the beach at Grassy Point...too windy. Had to wade
out until it was possible to waterstart. Took long breaks among the redwoods
and Bishop Pine behind the beachs on the far side. There are no roads within
mile of these beaches so there is a real feeling of wilderness. About 10
people on the water but about 15 people on the beach without 3.0s waiting for
it to die down. Friday was gusty and "died" down to 4.0 in the late
afternoon.

Very interesting weather pattern behind all of this wind. Little to do with
our normal spring NW winds. The NGM and MRF computer models were dead
accurate and allowed us at Windsight to forecast these winds 4 days in
advance. May write an article for my column in Windtracks Magazine about the
wx variables that produced these epic winds on the coast and Penninsula.
Hoping to do a special article about the Peninsula spring and summer winds
and why the Penn. has the most reliable winds in the Bay Area. Are there any
weather nuts in the Penninsula who would like to contribute their
observations especially about summer thermal winds? Please contact me. George
Mclean and I will be publishing a new book about Bay, Gorge, Maui and Baja
weather patterns and are looking for any observations Penn. experienced
sailors have made.

Mike Godsey
1-800-685-9463