Re: Tue sailing at 3d

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu May 04 1995 - 07:03:29 PDT

Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 07:03:29 -0700
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Tue sailing at 3d

> From: Jeff Hodges <hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis>
> I got to 3d a little after 3 to find some folks rigging and watching a guy that
> was out on a 5.7/8'6 rig. Someone mentioned that it was a little holey and
> there were others out on >= 6.0. It looked flattish, but there were nice
> whitecaps. So I rigged up my 6.2/9'0 epoxy combo (150#) and was on the water a
> bit after 3:30. The guy on the 5.7 had come back in saying it had dropped a bit
> and his board was too small if anything. I was planing fairly quickly and
> headed out to the channel marker. The wind dropped off in the channel and I
> headed back, again on plane once past the marker. I played in that area for 30
> min or so when it seemed to come up a notch, and I headed back out across the
> channel. Was very nice all the way across and didn't look like any gaps as far
> as I wanted to go. Sailed until 6:15 with one short break. Had a blast. The rig

It must have picked up later, as I went out at 5:30 on my 6.3/9'2", and was very
powered the whole time. Jerome (who notoriously sails BIG) was on his 6.5.
I sailed until 7:20, when it started dropping off.

Anyone sail yesterday (Wednesday)? My COTW pager was showing averages at Coyote
in the 13-15mph range, but straight west. The SFO reports were averaging 20knots.
Must have been a big wind shadow.

~Jim