Re: Nuclear 3rd...

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Apr 21 1995 - 13:21:04 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Nuclear 3rd...
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 13:21:04 -0700 (PDT)

'Gregg Holtmeier says:'
> Bethaney works on the normal thermal generated winds, but I guess these winds
> are from the passing front. I'm no meteorolo... uh, weather person, but are
> front driven winds more gusty and holey than the thermal generated winds?

I've seen it both ways. With clouds overhead, you almost always have
huge holes. But if there is a trailing front with no clouds overhead,
you can get really smooth consistent clearing winds. Also, when you
have huge systemic pressure differences over vast regions of the
Western U.S., and over large areas of the Pacific, those winds tend to
be consistent. Jet stream winds are also pretty consistent.

Even when there are clouds, there are exceptions. If you get into the
downdraft of an approaching local weather system, like a thundercloud,
you can get amazingly good wind. The 3.7 day that Ken and I got at
Rowena last year in the Gorge was with clouds all around, very little
thermal component to the wind, etc. There was an ominous black storm
front to the West that just kept pushing monster wind out in front of
it. Lasted for the entire afternoon before the storm finally advanced
on our position.

I suppose Mike Godsey is the one to ask about weather systems....

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis