Re: more detail for Save 3rd Ave.

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Apr 07 1995 - 22:58:12 PDT

Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 22:58:12 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  more detail for Save 3rd Ave.

> Ok, here's a more detailed look at some of these issues.

Thanks for the summary.

> 1. Foster City government needs be reminded that we exist, kind of the
> corolary to "the squeeky wheel gets the grease" as in "the quiet wheel get's
> neglected"
> 2. Closing the sailing sight while the golf course is being built this summer
> might be frowned on by some of you gentle readers.
> 4. The current access road is going, no question, wouldn't you like the old
> road to go <after> the new road is done!

Complete agreement here.

> 3. Let's put this in perspective, would a 5-11 story tall shopping center on
> this sight possibly affect the wind? (I tend to think so)

It would kill the wind in the cove, but at the new launch ramp the wind
is generally slightly onshore. I think we would survive nearly any size
buildings, and fighting buildings will likely get us nowhere. What we
need to focus on is parking and access to the water.

> 5. Enlarging the parking lot while all the machinery is there would be a nice
> addition, probably this will have to be financed from a concession on sight
> in the future. We should plan to remind the City that better parking would be
> appreciated.

I wonder if we can apply any BCDC pressure to supply adequate parking
here. I worry that they'll designate a few dozen spots in a larger parking
lot for public use (like the hotels near SFO) and we'll end up fighting
with the building owners. Truly adequate parking is going to be about
the size of Coyote: 200-300 cars.

Is there any progress on a windsurf concession at this site? Vela was
talking about that last fall. If the site is constructed with tiny
parking, it won't be economic to start a windsurf concession later.

> 7. What else would you be doing on a Thursday evening, watching Seinfeld?

Hopefully, drying out my wetsuit. But that can wait.

"We're on a mission. A mission from God." -- The Blues Brothers