Re: [rec.windsurfing] Rescue on SF Bay or Don't Forget Your Uphaul

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Apr 05 1995 - 10:08:10 PDT

Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 10:08:10 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: [rec.windsurfing] Rescue on SF Bay or Don't Forget Your Uphaul

> How can you uphaul an 8'4" low volume board? I'm all for safety but I would
> certainly think there is a threshold where uphauling is not a viable option
> unless you can walk a high wire.

Uphauling a sinker is entirely possible. You start sinking as soon as
you stand up on the board, and you sink quite a bit more as you uphaul
the sail. You end up standing somewhere between ankle-deep and
thigh-deep. Just keep the nose of the board pointed in the normal
direction for an uphaul start, plus pointed slightly up towards the
surface. Once you sheet in, you will slowly rise up to your normal
slogging depth for that board.

Oddly enough, it's often easier to uphaul a board that sinks a little
than one that just floats. Once below the surface, there is less
effect on the board from the chop.

"I was going a hundred and fifty miles an hour sideways and 500 feet
straight down. I was looking out for the cops. I *knew* what I was doing
wasn't, you know, legal." -- Arlo Guthrie, "The Pickle Song"