Re: speaking of safety packs...

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Apr 04 1995 - 14:45:31 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: speaking of safety packs...
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 14:45:31 -0700 (PDT)

'jim wolfgram says:'
> waterbottles along with the storage. They looked like they might be handy, I
> often end up coming in because I'm feeling dehydrated. I think they cost about
> $48

Unless you really love Giardia and other intestinal parasites, I would
not recommend putting water bottles on your fanny pack. Aside from the
inevitable few drops of Bay water that you would suck in on the lid,
there is inevitably some leakage that will allow bay water to slip
into the bottle. They tell us when backpacking to treat even the
pristine water you get in the Sierras with iodine or filters to get
out Giardia, bacteria, and viruses. I can only guess what kind of crap
lurks in Bay water. Get a discovery scope sometime and scoop up some
bay water into it and take a look inside. Pretty disgusting
assortment of microscopic critters out there....

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis