Re: speaking of safety packs...

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Apr 04 1995 - 14:18:11 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: speaking of safety packs...
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 14:18:11 -0700 (PDT)

'Jeff Hodges says:'
> ..I'm pulling mine together and am curious about what and where to get the
> actual pack itself to carry all the little bits in. I believe I want something
> to attach to my harness, altho Peter Liu has uses a fanny pack (non-mesh) that
> he sez works fine (others have had problems with them inadvertently opening
> upon a backside impact). Suggestions?

Fanny packs, with *plastic zippers*, work fine. But I find that a
little re-engineering goes a long way on these things. Cut some holes
on the bottom of the pack, then reinforce the pack by sewing in a mesh
cover over the holes. This allows quick drainage from the pack.
Otherwise the thing begins to bloat, and this puts pressure on the
seams and zipper, which then wear out quicker.

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis