Tide Data

From: Edward W. Scott (shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Dec 13 1994 - 16:09:29 PST

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 16:09:29 -0800 (PST)
From: "Edward W. Scott" <shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Tide Data

It's me again-

Just curious whether anyone actually uses tide data for anything? I
usually rely upon current data (slack, peak ebb and peak flood times)
rather than high/low tides. Except for places like Palo Alto, which
becomes inaccessible, or Third Ave, which sometimes becomes a bit muddy,
I don't usually use the tide data for anything. Does anyone else? In
case you haven't figured it out, this is for the Web page project, b/c I
have to obtain the data tide data from a different source than the current
data.

On a related note, does anyone know why high/low tide times differ
(sometimes substantially) from slack times? I noticed this in my tide
book and it didn't make much sense to me. Could it be that there's a lag
between when slack occurs and the tide actually hits its highest (or lowest)
point (e.g. during a full moon)?

Thanks. Have a merry one.

-shrEd
Ed Scott