Tide Data

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Dec 14 1994 - 11:28:50 PST

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 11:28:50 -0800
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject:  Tide Data

> I think an even better explaination is that it is as Ken says "a
> distributed transmission line", but they are modeled by L's and C's.

Yeah, well, we need L, C *and* R. Certainly we need the "inductive"
effects (the momentum of the current) to explain the extra-high tides
in the southern end of the Bay. A narrow, shallow channel looks
more resistive than inductive, though - note the half-height tides
at Rio.

"Engineers think that equations are an approximation of reality.
Physicists think that reality is an approximation of the equations.
Mathematicians never make the connection.
Economists don't realize that there is a difference."
                                        -- Donny Goff
And windsurfers only think about equations when there's no wind...