Re: Storage Solutions

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Nov 11 1994 - 12:11:58 PST

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 12:11:58 -0800
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Storage Solutions
Cc: shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis

> For the other 2 boards, I'm planning on simply
> nailing 2x4's or 2x2's perpendicular to the studs. So far, I tried the
> flimsy shelf brackets from Home Depot for these, and they didn't work at
> all.
>
> Any suggestions?

I copied a design for a board rack I saw in one of the windsurfing
mail order catalogs. It's pretty simple

Materials:
2 5' lengths of 2x4s
2 10' lengths of THIN WALLED electrical conduit (approx. 7/8" diam.)
8 1" rubber chair leg "feet"
Box of 3" drywall screws

Total cost of all materials should be around $15.

Tools:
7/8" spade bit or hole saw.
hammer
Drill
Metal cutting hack saw

Drill four 7/8" holes along the lenght of each 2x4, 10-12 inches
apart. These holes should be drilled all the way through the 2x4.

Use the hack saw to cut four 2 foot lengths of the electrical conduit,
from each of the 10 foot lengths.

Insert one of the 2' lengths of pipe into one of the holes drilled into
the 2x4. Using a scrap piece of 2x4 placed on the end of the pipe,
pound the pipe into the hole with the hammer. The pipe should fit very
tight into the hole, requiring hammering to fit. Hammer the pipe until
it extends through the 2x4, flush with the back side. Repeat for the
other seven 2' lengths of pipe, into the other holes in the two
sections of 2x4.

The 2x4s should be mounted vertically to the studs in a wall with 3"
drywall screws. 3-4 screws should be used to mount each section of
2x4. Mount the 2x4s so that each of the each of the corresponding
pipes are level with each other. The 2x4 sections should be at least
3' apart. Place a rubber foot on the end of each pipe.

TIP: The drywall screws can be counter sunk into the 2x4s, about
1/2". Coat each screw with concentrated soap (liquid laundry
detergent) before driving them in. Drill a small hole through the
2x4, but don't predrill the studs in the wall. Drywall screws are
sharp enough to cut their own holes. Use the electric drill with a
Philips head driver bit to drive the screws in.

The pipe arms provide the supports for the boards. This will hold
four boards. The spacing between the pipes can be widened to
accomodate taller fins. I put my longest board on top, with the
fin pointed down, and progressively shorter boards below, with the
tail of each board inside of the fin above. 10" spacing is enough
with this alignment of the boards.
                            _ _
|| |.| |.|
||========= |o| |o|