Re: 3rd ave

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Sep 14 1994 - 22:04:50 PDT

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 1994 22:04:50 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: 3rd ave

I agree that the key is the legal right to coastal access. Judging only
by precedent at a bunch of other developed locations on the Peninsula,
this includes some parking designated for public access.

In the last go-round, the BCDC (Bay Conservation and Development
Commission) basically bought the SFBA argument that for windsurfers,
access=parking, and directed FC to provide parking equal to the
previously existing (by the old launch on 3rd Ave) as a condition of
getting its levee improvement permit approved. I believe the number was
60 spaces. I would expect a similar direction in any new development
(assuming we press the point); the question is how to get more.

If FC is truly trying to avoid establishing a precedent that 120
windsurfers use the site because that will reduce the value of the site,
then there is probably nothing we can do.

If, on the other hand, they are just trying to minimize their costs,
there is room for discussion. We could organize a parking lot expansion
at zero cost, or we could agree to a parking fee in return for specified
improvements. Personally, I'd be perfectly happy to pay $4 a day to an
Iron Ranger at 3rd, though I'd be much happier to pay $60 for a season
pass just to reduce the hassle. I'd hazard: the present usage is 60
vehicles, about 4 days a week, for about 22 weeks, which comes to $21K a
year, give or take a factor of two. From FC's point of view, it's
small, but it would be enough to cover improvements if they were frugal.

How about a poll: *everyone* who sails at 3rd, please mail to
poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis (*not* the list) your answers to these questions:

    0) About how many times a year do you sail at 3rd?

    1) Would you devote a day (or a couple of mornings :-) to
        expanding the parking lot?

    2) Would you pay $4 a day for parking at 3rd in return for
        FC doubling the parking lot?

Use subject "3rd Ave Poll", please.

"If you want to stop war and stuff, you gotta sing *loud*."
                                        -- Arlo Guthrie