Re: Possible infection danger in the bay

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Aug 23 1994 - 12:36:27 PDT

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 1994 12:36:27 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  Possible infection danger in the bay

> He diagnosed me with having a soft tissue bacterial infection in my finger.
> I suspect that I got it from the water at Crissy Field. He prescribed me
> som antibiotics (and pain killers) and my finger is slowly getting better.

I get little cuts and nicks quite often while sailing. (Why do you
think they call those fins "blades"? :-) If I remember, I give it a
rinse and put some antibacterial like Neosporin on when I get out of the
water. I would guess that 1 cut in 10 gets a mild infection, certainly
nothing as bad as you had, though. I think that whether something gets
infected is very much a matter of chance, but you can increase your odds
with some antibacterial.

Also, I sail at Coyote and 3rd, where the water is much dirtier. At
least Crissy gets a complete ocean flush twice a day.

" ... and then I perled." -- on a van