Shark at Bodega

From: WindFinder@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri Jun 17 1994 - 08:38:22 PDT

From: WindFinder@aol.com-DeleteThis
Sender: "WindFinder" <WindFinder@aol.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 94 11:38:22 EDT
Subject: Shark at Bodega

It has been a busy week on the north coast. Bodega and Tomales bays have had
wind in the 30 to 50 knot range for 6 days. Wednesday I was at Tomales on a
3.5 sail on my wife's 7'9" board.. I weigh 185 lbs so this was serious wind.
When I got home I checked my Windgraph software which provides a histogramn
of average wind and gusts at 60 second intervals over the day. Bodega had
average winds over 38 knots and gusts to 48 knots. Two events put a dampner
on a otherwise great week on the coast.

Tuesday a 16 foot great white hit a large sea lion about 60 feet from the
launch site at Doran Beach at Bodega Bay. There was a great deal of blood and
water splashing about as the shark killed and then ate the sea lion. The wind
was blowing about 35 knots but most of the sailors decided to de-rig. Several
locals kept on sailing apparently feeling that the shark was probably full.

Then Wendesday at Grassy Point at Tomales Bay Jeff Broffmand and Bill
Davenport found a body in the water. Two guys had gone out in a 14 foot skiff
(with the winds blowing over 35 knots) and drowned. They were unable to tow
the body back and had to notify the Coast Guard. The body was later recovered
at Marconi.

Mike Godsey