Re: lucky to be alive today

From: Robert Novak (robertn@corsair.esd.sgi.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jun 16 1994 - 18:32:21 PDT

From: "Robert Novak" <robertn@corsair.esd.sgi.com-DeleteThis>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 1994 18:32:21 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: lucky to be alive today

On Jun 16, 5:51pm, Will Estes wrote:
> Subject: Re: lucky to be alive today
> 'Robert Novak says:'
> > I was on the far side of the channel and the wind and waves were forcing me
> > the east side of the bridge.
> >
> > I wasn't sure how far the mud flats were east of my position. Actually I
was
> > in no position to fight the waves anyway. As it was the waves were capping
on
> > me. Any attempt swim sideways to the wave would have taken a lot of
energy.

> > I was also thinking about how long I would last in the water. My wetsuit
was
> > only 2mm. I'm not sure how long I would last before I was too cramped up
> > keep swimming or tread water.
> >
> > I was lining up one of the power towers behind the bridge with the bridge
> > get an indication of wether or not I was making forward progress or if the
tide
> > had started to ebb and was pulling me back into the channel. If I was
getting
> > pulled out I would see no other alternative but to head for the mud flats
on
> > the east side of the bay.
>
> If there had not been any boat there, was there any way to climb to the top
> of the bridge?

Not that I could see from my vantage point. From where the pilings start I
didn't see any way to get up.

The strange thing was that at that point the bridge is so close to the water at
high tide that I could see the drivers in trucks.(I could see the whites of
their eyes). I wonder if I waved my arms if they could see me.

Plan B, if I couldn't climb the bolts on the maint. tower was to try to swim to
one of the power powers just South of the Bridge. They might have a ladder or
something.

> Can you describe what the pilings look like/spacing/etc.?

The are very close together, about 4 ft, 15 per row. Each row is separated by
about 15 ft.

--
-- robert novak 415-390-2603
-- robertn@corsair.esd.sgi.com-DeleteThis