Re: Rescue at 3rd

From: mchapman@wcdf.viewlogic.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed Jun 08 1994 - 13:49:03 PDT

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 94 13:49:03 PDT
From: mchapman@wcdf.viewlogic.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Rescue at 3rd

> > Visibility is vital. The two other sailors who worked on towing
> > Mark in did not succeed in getting him across the channel, but they
> > did provide a good visual marker. We never did see Mark from the
> > shore, only about 1.5 miles away. The only way to be visible
> > if your sail is down is to sit on your board, and that is still
> > probably only good for a half mile or so.
>
> I've been thinking about this problem too. Flares and smoke, even if you
> could carry them, are pretty much a joke in a high-wind area. It seems
> like what a windsurfer would really need is something reflective. One of
> those circular rescue signal mirrors that downed fighter pilots use would
> be useful. They have small holes in the middle that the user can look
> through and use to point the reflector at the target. They are also small
> enough to fit in a large fanny pack.

REI carries a small strobe light which is only slightly larger than
the D cell battery it uses. The package claimed it would run at full
lumens for 15 hours. Given the condition of the bay water down near
Coyote and 3rd - which doesn't actually sparkle on a windy day - I
think it'll be pretty visible for a good distance even during broad
daylight. I now carry one of these in a small fanny pack attached to
my harness. Although its heavier than I'd like, I don't notice the
weight while I'm sailing. (Even on Monday when I was getting some
pretty decent air :^) and coming down hard a few times.)

The strobe light was actually suggested by a park ranger at Coyote.
Apparently a Coast Guard helicopter had spent 45 minutes (just the
evening before our chat) flying in and out of the approach path to SFO
before finally locating the board sailor. He claimed the helicopter
would have had him out of the water in 5 or 10 minutes if he'd had
one. (It was dusk when they started.)

For those who are interested, other items I currently carry are

   - 50' parachute cord
   - 2 tie down straps
   - 3 flares
   - a small Swiss Army knife (but the one which has a philips and
     a slotted screwdriver blade)
   - a small bungee cord clipped to the strobe light so it can be
     attached to a foot strap or mast

I purchased everything at REI, including the sewing awl used to attach
the pack to the harness. (Thanks to the person who recommended the
awl. It worked great with 6lb fishing line for thread.)

I'm new to the Bay area and it was mainly this forum (the numerous
rescue discussions) plus the ranger's advice, that finally overcame
normal inertia and my "that won't happen to me" attitude. While I
agree that board sailors should make every effort to take care of
ourselves (and each other), if the Coast Guard ever does have to pick
me up, at least I've done everything I can think of (short of staying
home on the couch) to make the rescue faster.

Which (finally) brings me to my question. Has anyone, like the SFBA
(which I just joined) ever published a pamphlet on "self rescue" for
board sailors, or a list of emergency gear to carry? I've been
getting Windsurfing magazine for about 5 years and don't ever remember
seeing an article there.

Or if anyone out there feels qualified to write one, I could probably
talk my company into springing for copying costs. (They OWE me for
spending as much time as I do at work when I could be on the water.)

  Matt Chapman
  mchapman@viewlogic.com-DeleteThis