Re: Rescue and crissy wind

From: kenb@hpindck.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed Jun 08 1994 - 13:24:04 PDT

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Rescue and crissy wind
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 94 13:24:04 -0700
From: kenb@hpindck.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis

Will wrote:

> I think that something like a season permit creates the right
> economic environment for the Coast Guard. If an increasing number of
> windsurfers has the effect of increasing their revenues, I think that they
> are going to take our interests more to heart.

I think that's probably the right to handle things, as long as you add a
"windsurfing on the Bay without a permit is a $XXX fine". You obviously
can't really enforce that, but anyone who is serious about the sport and
recognizes the possibility and seriousness of breaking down would (probably,
although I know there would be exceptions) get a permit. It's a pretty
cheap insurance policy, the way I look at it. If you breakdown and need a
rescue and you don't have a permit, you pay the fine. I know that still puts
a financial coloring on the decision to call the Coast Guard for someone
who chooses not to get the permit, but hey, you got to take *some*
responsibility for your actions. Windsurfing has inherent dangers, and
we all have to make choices on how to deal with them if we choose to engage
in this activity.

KenB

P.S. Having gotten that of my chest, I had a horrible thought. Some lawyer
      could probably argue "windsurfing is an addiction, you aren't responsible
      for your actions". Hmm, I'm not sure if I like that idea or not....

P.P.S. I'd be interested in how many of the folks the Coast Guard rescues are
       "serious" sailors, as opposed to people who just do it occasionally.
       I'm thinking about the guy who wants to be legal, but is either a)
       visiting the area, or b) doesn't do it so often that he should be
       forced to get the "season insurance policy" type of permit. Maybe you
       do it kind of like fishing licenses, you know, everyone goes to <insert
       your favorite ws shopname here> at the beginning of the season to get
       their permit, and casual types can get "day permits" there too...