Re: Rescue and crissy wind

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jun 08 1994 - 11:01:38 PDT

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 11:01:38 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: 72017.461@compuserve.com-DeleteThis, Fred_Sporon-Fiedler@hpctg.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Gerry_Owen@hpctg.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Phaman@ccmail.apldbio.com-DeleteThis, Walt_Menge@hp5400.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, amulhall@pyramid.com-DeleteThis, cleland@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, cord@hpoemb.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis, coussens@hplgcc.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, ghs@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, jlabat@us.oracle.com-DeleteThis, lenb@ssd.intel.com-DeleteThis, matt@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, mfabrega@raynet.COM-DeleteThis, missimer@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, rob_hartman@logitech.COM-DeleteThis, schofiel@sid.hp.com-DeleteThis, sjn@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  Rescue and crissy wind

> To all of you who want me to provide a wind update of crissy (since I can see
> it from my office) will try to transmit one around 12:15 if my duties
> allow...

Neat! Since these are current conditions, please mail to wind_thresh
and wind_afternoon.

> a comment on the rescue; Why cud he not self-rescue? Could not he have
> derigged every thing tied it to the board and paddled in?

Paddling a shortboard is a very slow process; he was 1.5 to 2 miles
offshore. I would guess you make less than .5 miles per hour paddling a
shortboard. Paddling in swell makes it that much harder.

> I an on a
> committee that meets wth the coast guard regarding problems at crissy and
> they are getting increasingly upset of having to "continuously rescue those
> windsurfers." They are talking of trying require the purchase of a permits
> to allow you to launch off crissy. Broken equipment is going to happen fromm
> time to time. If we dont prepare for the unexpected, we may find the coast
> guard shutting down our access! Unless there is a phsical injury, teamwork
> and selfwork should be practiced.-- jeff bunch

I agree that we should self-rescue whenever possible, and we tried.

Overall, windsurfers are *designed* to be just barely sailable, so when
anything breaks, we have flotation but not much else. Many places in
the Bay, we sail so far offshore that towing or paddling or swimming is
simply not fast enough.

The most effective strategy might be to flag down a second helper and
have one helper stay with the downed sailor and one go to the beach for
replacement equipment (and a bigger board if possible, to aid towing
if necessary). A key part of staying with the downed sailor is to
make yourselves visible so the equipment-carrier can find you again.