Re: Rescue at 3rd

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jun 08 1994 - 10:14:43 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Rescue at 3rd
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 10:14:43 -0700 (PDT)

'Michael Schuh says:'

> I once found a sailor with just his rig. He never found the board.
> With three trips, I was able to
> 1) carry his mast and booms in by tieing his mast to mine at the
> top and bottom and putting his booms on my mast just above my
> booms.
> 2) carry his sail in an old sail bag that I got after the first trip
> to the beach. I had a tough time with water in the bag until
> I figured out that I should put the bag handle over my shoulder with
> the tied entrance pointing down so the water would drain out. Then
> it was no problem.

So far so good. In fact, some pretty cool tricks....

> 3) tow him in with him holding on to a rope with a loop tied to the
> end.

So how did you find the guy?

In Ken's situation your solution would have meant leaving this guy in the channel
by himself on his board...maybe not a better alternative than leaving him there
with his rig since the rig could be used to locate him (if he was trying to waterstart).

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis