Re: 3rd Ave. sensor and histogram

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue May 31 1994 - 11:22:22 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: 3rd Ave. sensor and histogram
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue, 31 May 1994 11:22:22 -0700 (PDT)

'WindFinder@aol.com-DeleteThis says:'
> Windsight is going to put sensor up near 3rd avenue. Since there are no
> practical waterfront locations. We are considering using the roof of the new
> Vela Headquarters. The people there think it has pretty clean access to wind
> and is representative or at least correlated with the wind at the launch site
> unless the wind goes too south. Our computers can correct any linear
> difference between the sensor report and reality. Still the site is less than
> ideal.

Why not put a sensor directly on the windward side of the San Mateo Bridge,
on the west side of the channel? Granted the elevation will likely
increase the wind, but as you say you can make linear corrections, and at
least that way you don't have to fool with obstacles in front of the
measuring instrument.

Alternatives on land:

- there is a four-story office building south of the 3rd ave. launch site

- there is a sewage treatment plant at the old launch site, and there might
be some way to mount them on the roof of one of the office there (no trees
in the way, unlike the surrounding office buildings).

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis