re: Thursday reports

From: Rich Schumacher (rich@mptp.varian.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri May 13 1994 - 09:25:15 PDT

Date: Fri, 13 May 1994 09:25:15 -0700
From: rich@mptp.varian.com-DeleteThis (Rich Schumacher)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: re: Thursday reports

Went to PA Harbor about 5:15, everyone was off the water, no wind. Headed back
to work, called the airport on a whim, 30 gust to 39 ! Guess I better go sailing!
Got to 3rd ave, headed to the old launch cause the parking lot looked full.
Rigged a 4.5 on my 8'6" ASD, cranked the downhaul and pulled it flat, and
went out. Hit a few holes going out to the channel where I was way, way powered.
It was easily 4.0 or even smaller in the channel. The swells were huge, I was
having a blast dropping in and 'surfing with a handle'. The only problem was
that nobody else was out there (near the channel marker). I headed in after my
board nearly got away from me downwind after a crash. I had to swim like mad
after it. When I came in, the wind was getting holey, had to do the old knee
deep mud slog to make it to shore. Now I remember why I like the new launch so
much better.
p.s. Wednesday was great for the people who blew off work and went early