Re: Re: Need a measuring site for Coyote and Third Avenue

From: Kirk Lindstrom (kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Apr 28 1994 - 07:41:11 PDT

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 07:41:11 -0700
From: Kirk Lindstrom <kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis, wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Re: Need a measuring site for Coyote and Third Avenue

> Why even hassle with the bother of setting up your own? These people are
> willing to spend $1000 bucks on professional equipment, and they have a
> employee in the Bay Area (Mike Godsey: 707-823-7988) who can tend to all of
> with 120 data points per hour (peak and average speeds read each minute).
> They give me the software to graph it, and they give me the same data for
> other Bay Area sites, including sensors that they already have running at
> Crissy and Sherman Island. I don't think we can match their effort cost
> efficiently, so why bother? I'm happy to just to find a small outfit like
> this that is able to make a business out of doing something that is going
> to save me a lot of wasted time.
>
> Thanks,
> Will Estes Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis

Hmmmm, why bother? Get a big, light epoxy board or a IMCO board and a
big sail and just go up when 14 at the airport and sail. That is what
I do and don't get skunked very often and it is usually only when I
say "jeeze, takes an hour to get to CPt and it might come up and I
want to sail so I'll take a chance."

Also, 8 hrs of data isn't that useful since I'm usually more
interested in what it did at that time "yesterday" and what were the
conditions like pressure, clouds/fog, temp, wind direction and in the
Spring - High/Low locations. XWeather seems to work well enough. Buy
an HP workstation and we might be able to get it for ya. 8-)

Kirk out