Obstacles

From: shreddined@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon Apr 25 1994 - 09:45:15 PDT

From: shreddined@aol.com-DeleteThis
Sender: "shreddined" <shreddined@aol.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 94 12:45:15 EDT
Subject: Obstacles

observations:

1. Pipe at Coyote - Yesterday at Coyote, I discovered a pipe or cable
sticking out at a 45 degree angle at low tide. On the reach out to the
channel it was to the right of the race marker and about 3/4 of the way out.
I struck it on a full-tilt plane when I heard a quite solid bang on my fin.
Luckily, didn't appear to be any permanent damage. Keep your eyes peeled on
low tide.

2. Sandbar at Third - Although I haven't re-discovered it this season, take
note that there is a serious sand bar which runs parallel to the channel at
Third Avenue. I'd guess it's about 20 yds wide and 50-100 yds long. It also
only makes an appearance on low tides, but is only 6" deep. It's
approximately 1 mile out from the old and new launch sights, slightly
downwind. It's about where the San Mateo bridge's last trestle is before it
arches over the channel. On the channel side of the sand bar there is an
abrupt drop-off where the channel forms, so I'd guess it's formed from the
flow in the channel. Definitely makes for good fin-flattening.

-shrEd
Ed Scott
ShreddinEd@aol.com-DeleteThis