Re: Bad wavesailing spots

From: Steve Shugart (steve@malik.rose.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Aug 31 1993 - 15:50:16 PDT

From: Steve Shugart <steve@malik.rose.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Bad wavesailing spots
To: wind_talk@hpl-milo.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis ()
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 93 15:50:16 PDT
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.30]

> Will Estes replied:
>
> >> Who told you that these were bad spots? Do the locals frequent them
> >> on regular NW days?
>
> Nobody told me anything about good or bad spots, and I don't know if
> Pomponio is good or bad on NW winds (actually, the locals told me, but
> I was sworn to secrecy :-). The above was a purely personal comment:
> a convoluted way of saying that I suspect ALL beaches from Half Moon
> Bay to Santa Cruz are good wavesailing spots.
>
> One comment I got from the locals (a quite friendly bunch, by the
> way---perhaps they were in a good mood because of the big waves) is
> that Davenport has something of a point break, nice but quite close to
> rocks (that's to be expected, I suppose). I have now a detailed
> knowledge of several sections of sea bottom at Pomponio, which is
> sandy; I have no desire to extend this knowledge to other kinds of
> surfaces; therefore, if the locals' intention was to protect their
> nice spot from overcrowding, as far as I am concerned they have
> completely succeeded.
>
> Do people in this list do much wavesailing anyway? I know Jim Munro
> does, but I can't remember if he is on this list (are you there Jim?
> Thanks for the advice!) Last Sunday was my second time at the coast.
> The first time was eight days ago. As I said, I had a blast: it was
> like learning to windsurf from scratch again, but WORSE! The
> punishment for mistakes was ridicolously harsh. After the first forty
> minutes I was so tired that I had to rest one full hour. But don't
> make me give the details: I want to write a little story about it. --Luigi

The sacramento guys make it to the coast often as possible, we sail Davenport,
Scotts and Waddel and we Sailed Gazos one day when there was no wind at the
other spots. By the way Rio, went pretty good last nite 4.5 - 5.0 conditions
with an ebb. Rio to me is Sherman Island. Is the 3 hour drive all the way to
Pomponio worth it for a south wind, sounds like it if there is decent surf.
-- Steve