Monday at 3rd

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 10:42:36 PDT

Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 10:42:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com>
To: wind_talk@zonker.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com
Subject: Monday at 3rd

============= Mon 5 Aug 02 - 3rd - 5.4,4.4/8'8,257 (199#) 3:30-6:00

I take full responsibility for the events of yesterday afternoon.

The wind looked kind of light, so I got a light-air demo board from ASD.
This was an 8'8 Naish SuperCross with 112 liters. I figured it would be
a 5.4 or 6.0 day, and light inside, which is where I wanted to test the
flotation of the 112-liter SuperCross.

It started out as I expected - 21 mph in the channel, wind actually
dropping inside, just right for this demo.

By the time I got on the water, there was enough wind to plane from the
beach with my 5.4. Oh well, take it out to the channel. After the usual
time spent adjusting footstraps several times, the swell was setting up
nicely, but it seemed like I was having a hard time controlling things.
Well, actually, controlling the sail was the main problem. I headed in
and found even stronger wind at the shore. I had not been able to sheet
in my flattened 5.4 for a while, so I rigged 4.4 and went to my small
board.

It was wonderful! Fully powered, with great wide swells in the channel
to 8 feet! Channel marker read a steady 30 mph (range 26-37) from 4:30
to 5:30. I did get tired after a while and went back in for a brief
rest.

When I went back out it was OP city! Wind had notched up suddenly to 36
mph (range 27-41) and it was all I could do to hold on. I was greedy
for the swell, so I hung on as long as I could, but after half an hour I
was beat. 3.5 would have been great.

So for everyone who got thashed yesterday: you're welcome.

Ken Poulton
poulton@labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com

"Make no Small Plans, for they stir not men's souls."
                                      -- Daniel Burnham