Re: better interaction between kiters and windsurfers at 3rd

From: JR Johnston (jrstudio@home.com-DeleteThis.com)
Date: Thu Aug 30 2001 - 09:03:16 PDT

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 08:03:16 -0800
From: JR Johnston <jrstudio@home.com-DeleteThis.com>
To: wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com
Subject: Re: better interaction between kiters and windsurfers at 3rd

Thanks for your input Ken. As a kiter/windsurfer I think you hit it
right on the mark. No kiters should be performing any tricks or
maneuvers with 'anyone' downwind. No matter what your skill! I
have seen a good kiter lose his kite during a maneuver and hit a
windsurfer on the water. This was totally a stupid thing to do and
endangered everyone around him, luckily no one was hurt. Many of
the kiters I know are trying to police themselves so that everyone
is safe and having a good time. This is why at 3rd Ave you see
kiters launching downwind as well as upwind of the launch and not
using the ramp, ETC.

There are a lot of 'groms' that I have never seen before at 3rd that
come around that totally ignore/disregard any suggestions from those
'in the know' on the beach and there is really not much you can do
in these situations. These people are not from the windsurfing
community and basically think they can do whatever they want and
thumb their noses at those trying to help them. I guess we need to
get a group of 'enforcers' together (a little muscle power, hehehe)
- this might be more persuasive to these inconsiderate turds;-) I
was equally astounded when i read about a kiter bitching out the
CG?!! Where do these people get off?!!

I think staying out of the 'lane' is a great idea. I will be happy
to spread the news to other kiters when I get the chance. Glad to
hear you are thinking of getting into kiting too!

BTW - If anyone is interested we have a bunch of gorge racks that
came off our motorhome that we will give away to anyone who wants
them. We don't need them anymore and they are taking up space in
the garage.

Party on,

JR

"All men know the utility of useful things, but true wisdom lies in
knowing the utility of futility" Chuang-tzu, On Leveling All Things,
c. 300 BC

Ken Poulton wrote:

> I strongly agree with Mark on this. There is no excuse for
sailing > or kiting in ways that will injure someone else if a jibe
or a trick > goes wrong. > > I propose a very simple standard: > >
****************************************************************** >
You need to be far enough away that if you or the other person >
completely blows your jibe or jump or trick or waterstart, no part >
of your rig *can* hit the other person. >
****************************************************************** >
> So what comes from this? > > If possible, pass with the kiter
downwind. > > Give *lots* of space when maneuvering, enough so a
slammed rig or > kite can't hit anyone. At 30 mph, you go 90 feet
in just 2 seconds. > > No jumping over people. (Duh) > > A little
seperation of traffic would help. There is one key collision > area
at 3rd: the narrow lane running from the main launch ramp out >
crosswind to the channel. Most of the windsurfers naturally sail
there > when they are not out in the channel. If the kiters will
simply avoid > being in this zone, 80% of the hazards go away. > >
I have no objection to kites crossing that lane; I expect to get
dragged > through there myself when I take it up. But if we could
agree that kites > should avoid that lane, we would be way ahead of
the game. In return, > windsurfers should try to avoid the kites
when sailing outside the lane. > > Discussion? Do we have some
kiters here? > > Ken Poulton > poulton@labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com > > "Good
judgment comes from experience. > Experience comes from bad
judgment." -- Buster Bunny (Tiny Toons)

[HTML file part2 deleted by listprocessor]