Re: question about best windspot in the SF bay this August

From: Dave Polzer (dpolzer@pacbell.net-DeleteThis.com)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 01:49:16 PDT

From: "Dave Polzer" <dpolzer@pacbell.net-DeleteThis.com>
To: <wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com>
Subject: Re: question about best windspot in the SF bay this August
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 01:49:16 -0700

Ahoj.. Jmenuji se Dave, muj Cesky je spatny, promin. Tak musim mluvit
Anglisky.

It's been along time since I tried to speak or write Czech. My parents are
Czech, so I understand Czech better than I speak or write it.

I noticed your questions about SF Bay Sailing on Wind Talk so I thought I'd
try to help you out, especially since your Czech.

Here is a good place to look for wind information in the Bay Area..

www.iwindsurf.com

You said you will visit Clayton, California.

You will be very close to Rio Vista also known as Sherman Island.
Approximately 10 miles away from Clayton. It is just north of the Antioch
Bridge in Antioch, CA. near Brannan Island State Park.
I have attached some Information below.....
You might be able to rent stuff at The Delta Windsurf Company (info below).
If not you can rent stuff in San Mateo, CA approximately 45 minutes away at
Helm of Sun Valley or at ASD-Advanced Surf Design. You will be here in peak
season for Sherman Island. I weigh ~210 pounds and sail a 4.1 to 5.4 there
on a regular basis during the month of August. I promise you will enjoy it.
The ramps for jumping are unbelievable!

If you want to sail the coast you will most likely want to go to Waddell
Creek, but you will have to drive 1-2 hours to get there.You won't be
disappointed with Sherman Island, and if it's not windy at Sherman Island
you can come try sailing in the bay. I sail at a place called 3rd (third)
Avenue in San Mateo, CA. Approximately 45 minutes from Clayton, CA. You can
find a nice map of all the sailing spots in the Bay on
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws click on SF for SFBay Area spots.
3rd Avenue has some of the best sailing in the bay. Bump and Jump
conditions. Sail sizes 4.1 to 6.4 My average sails are 5.4 and 5.9 on a 100
liter board. Often in August we will have more wind at Sherman Island than
in the bay so during August I will start going to Sherman Island on the
weekends for better wind. During August Sherman Island will be great...

Tak co? Tak vysmet se, ja vim muj Cesky je osklivy, nehezky a je spatny
ale..... moment hledam slovnik....................

Tak vim to urcite ty dostanes nadherny vitr!!

Cau!

Dave Polzer
dpolzer@pacbell.net-DeleteThis.com
Foster City, California

    A ted informace na Rio Vista / Sherman Island

 Season: Peak June-Aug

 Water: Warm, muddy

 Average Sail: 4.0 to 5.5

 Ability Level: Beginner-Adv.

 Familiness: Watching, camping, hanging out

 Parking: Crowded some sites

 Launch: Beach or sand bags or rocks

Sherman Island or Rio, the entrance to the Sacramento River Delta, is the
most popular sailing site in the Bay Area for sailors looking for strong
warm wind in the summer. If the Bay is fog shrouded and Golden Gate lost to
view think Rio Daze and head to the Delta for warm air and hot sailing! On
an ebb tide Sherman offers steep 1-3 foot chop swell with great starboard
ramps. The reaches are short so the action is intense and in your face.
Great place to watch hotshots! On floods and lighter wind days there is easy
slalom sailing.

Windsurfing on Sherman Island is possible due to the continuous hard work of
the RVWA - the Rio Vista Windsurfing Association. RVWA maintains most of the
sailing sites (sand bagging, portapotties,
cleanups), works with the County Parks and the State Parks to provide
access, leases land for sailing sites (The Sign & The Access), and funds and
builds new spots (Windy Cove), etc. They are very deserving of your
support - please consider joining them. More info.

The wind is side-onshore at most of the sailing sites. The SW to WSW winds
blow here in several different patterns. Sometimes it blows all night and
then blows all day with a mid-day fading. Other times it blows at night and
early morning then dies and then comes back in late the afternoon. Less
common is a pattern where it is light in the very early morning then dies
and then blows late in the afternoon.

There are spring also patterns where a cold north winds in the morning then
dies. In these winds the best launches are Windy Cove, Glass Beach, Jackson
Hole, San Bar, and Fishermen's.

For bump and jump sailing the ebb is the time and powerlines is the place.
For less confident sailors Team Rio beach has on-shore winds and weak
current near shore. On those days when even big guys are on 3.5 sails head
north past the town of Rio Vista and go into Sand Bar Park. It is less windy
there and is always a better place for beginners when the current is light.

Team Rio Beach has a tiny sandy beach for launching, tules for stashing gear
and a grassy/sandy rigging area. The Access has a tiny sandy beach and the
sites along the river have plastic sand bags over rip-rap rocks for
launching and you can rig on weeds, gravel or carpets. Powerlines and The
Sign / Cable Crossing offer plastic sand bags over rip-rap with rigging on
mown weeds. The swell is probably the best on the river at The Sign / Cable
Crossing.

Glass Beach close to the town of Rio Vista was once the most popular site
but it is seldom sailed these day. Glass beach has a wide beach but pilings
and broken glass make this a bootie only launch.

All the sailing areas are crowded near the launch but if you go just upwind
or downwind of the crowd you can find your personal water.

The fresh water is much warmer than the Bay. Water quality is poor with
water muddied by soil and agricultural runoff. The currents are strong at
all sites except near the Team Rio and Access beaches. If you are not good
at staying upwind watch out for sailing on a flood. If you can not get back
to your launch site go in at the next one down current. Once you are swept
past all the launch sites it can be hard to exit the water and you will have
to carry your gear on a road with fast traffic. Be especially careful in
sailing a ebb at the Access since if the wind dies you can be carried into
vast and unpopulated Suisun Bay.

Parking at the Access is extremely crowded and many sailors spend the night
here. Powerlines, The Sign / Cable Crossing, Windy Cove, Team Rio Beach, and
Glass Beach have lots of parking but on an epic day Powerlines can be
crowded.

Sherman Island is not a particularly scenic location but still is has
something to offer the family. It is a good place for roadside or parking
lot camping right at some of the launch sites. There is a great family
campground at Brannon Island State Park across from Windy Cove. At the
access there is a good sense of community and the traffic is slow. At the
Powerlines there is great viewing but the traffic is fast for kids.
Porta-poties are located at most sites but you won't find much in the way of
drinking water or food (unless you bring it yourself).
ABK Camp-Rio Vista 08/03
Aug 03, 2001 - Aug 05, 2001
Professional instruction by the best in the business. Call (800) 996-CAMP
for details
ABK Camp-Rio Vista 08/03 Website

ABK Camp-Rio Vista 08/10
Aug 10, 2001 - Aug 12, 2001
Professional instruction by the best in the business. Call (800) 996-CAMP
for details
ABK Camp-Rio Vista 08/10 Website

The sensor is located at Powerlines. When the wind is more south the wind
will be stronger at the Access than indicated by the sensor. When the
reading is more West the Powerlines & Access are of the same wind strength.
The more North in the reading the better WINDY COVE will be and the lighter
the sensor will read. The wind can be much better at one end of the island
than the other so it is always worth driving all the way to the Access. It
is useful to watch the Travis AFB sensor to help judge the wind. Be sure to
watch your pager while driving since it often dies mid-day.

Berkeley Boardsports
1601 University Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94703
(510) 527-7873
Berkeley Boardsports Website
Email

Delta Windsurf Company
3729 West Sherman Island Levee Road
Rio Vista, CA 94571
(916) 777-2299
Delta Windsurf Company Website
Email

Windcraft
17124 East Sherman Island Levee Road
Rio Vista, CA 94571
(916) 777-7067
Windcraft Website
Email

Windsurf Diablo
401 Sunset Dr, Ste L
Antioch, CA 94509
(925) 778-6350
Windsurf Diablo Website
Email

----

Tak poslouchat!!!! Vim to urcite ty dostanes nadherny vitr!! Nashledanou brzy ve Sherman Island nebo nekde jinde ve SF Bay!!!

Dave

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hlavat\375 Ji\370i'" <jiri.hlavaty@EDITEL.CZ-DeleteThis.com> To: "Multiple recipients of list WIND_TALK" <wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com> Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 11:55 AM Subject: question about best windspot in the SF bay this August