Re: SFO voters to decide for entire Bay Area?

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis.com
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 10:35:56 PDT

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis.com
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 13:35:56 EDT
Subject: Re: SFO voters to decide for entire Bay Area?
To: wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com

In a message dated 5/24/2001 9:43:36 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
jmilum@saba.com-DeleteThis.com writes:

> I would have to agree with all of Tracy's comments.
>
> I also do not have enough faith that the people of SF will choose
> the health of the bay over "on-time flights".

The key here is that you put "on-time flights" between quotes. We need to get
the message out that the runway project is a bad project with or without the
environmental impacts... $10,000,000,000 spent and you still have the same
number of runways and clear weather capacity in the end?!?! We need to get
out the word that Highway 101 will be a parking lot and anyone who saves
15-30 minutes of air delay will pay with an hour of delay in ground traffic.
Then let them know that there are simple solutions (large planes=less
flights) and by the way, it will devastate the Bay.

In a perfect world this would go to a vote of all Bay Area citizens but the
Bay Area as a whole only has a say through BCDC. The vote in SF would provide
one more approval needed for SFO before filling the Bay. The best-case
scenario is that the voters stop the runway. The worst-case scenario is that
SFO hails a victory at the polls as a moral victory. I don't think that does
much to counter the argument that it is not just San Francisco's Bay and that
the region should have some say. The risk of SFO scoring another PR victory
is worth the possible reward of stopping the runways. SFO will be scoring
more PR victories either way because they have a team working full time on
their PR.

We have just as much chance of convincing the SF voters as we do of
convincing the BCDC. People need to put their cynicism aside and step up to
the plate. We need to do grass roots education and we need to rally people to
get to the polls. Yes, the friends of Willie will spend bucks on ads so we
need to go door to door. The ladies that formed Save The Bay were up against
just as much money and greed as we are today and they pulled it off (without
e-mail or word processors!).

People have asked me from the start if opposing the runways isn't just a
waste of time. I think some of them are hoping that the answer is yes so that
they can give up and feel like it is okay to do nothing. If enough of us are
apathetic or cynical, then there is definitely no hope. I believe that the
vast majority of people would be opposed to the runways if they knew how
little it will do to solve the problems and how much it will do to damage the
environment. If anyone else believes that, let's get going. Start with your
friends. Use the petition at www.protectourbay.com as a way to bring the
subject up. Then let them know some of the facts and fax the petition back.
Ultimately we may need bodies at campaign rallies or protests.