RE: Carbon Booms?

From: Brad James (bjames@exponent.com-DeleteThis.com)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 09:08:13 PST

From: Brad James <bjames@exponent.com-DeleteThis.com>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com'" <wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com>
Subject: RE: Carbon Booms?
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:08:13 -0800

I'm a materials engineer who analyses broken parts for a living - and I've
broken both kinds too.... For the saltwater sailing we do - aluminum as a
material is not the greatest choice. That said, if you replace the Al booms
often, you shouldn't have any problems.

The biggest issue with aluminum is corrosion. Salt water contains chlorides
that break down the oxide layer that protects aluminum. This corrosion can
interact with the repeated stresses placed on the boom during sailing
(fatigue). (Al also doesn't have the greatest fatigue properties either)
Corroded aluminum has a flakey white appearance - not like rust. Another
issue is that you can't see the insides of the Al tubes, which probably stay
wet longer and therefore corrode more.

Of course Ed's boom bending problem has nothing to do with corrosion or
fatigue, he just applied a local force greater than the yield strength.
Carbon fiber has much, much higher yield and ultimate strengths compared to
Al. So you won't bend carbon booms - but carbon will break (without much
deformation) at high stresses. Aluminum has much greater ductility, so you
can bend them before they break (due to overload - not corrosion or
fatigue). So would Ed have broken carbon booms instead of just yielding
his aluminum booms??? Who knows... it depends on lots and lots of
variables. But you certainly could put a stress on an aluminum boom that
would bend it, where the same stress wouldn't do any damage to a carbon
boom.

Carbon fiber doesn't have saltwater corrosion problems. My understanding is
that a lot of the carbon fiber boom problems of years past (particularly
fiberspar) were actually aluminum problems. They used aluminum lugs to
attach the boom arms to the heads - these aluminum lugs were what was
failing (from corrosion and fatigue). That said, the carbon booms resin
likely degrades to some extent due to sun (UV) exposure. Probably not much
for Bay Area purposes, but if you left them on the beach at the equator for
a year, you'd probably have reduced the strength of your booms.

My guess is that if you sail a lot, and want to replace your Al booms before
they break, you would probably spend the same $$ on all the Al booms as on
a carbon boom that you keep for longer.

Hope this helps

Brad - Metallurgist at large!