[SFBA WindeNews] Send An Email...Protect Doug's Beach

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 10:27:08 PST

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 10:27:08 -0800 (PST)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@zonker.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis
Subject: [SFBA WindeNews] Send An Email...Protect Doug's Beach

I love Doug's Beach. Please send an e-mail to crgc@gorge.net-DeleteThis
asking for a public hearing on the proposed railroad siding there.

Ken Poulton
poulton@labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis

SAN FRANCISCO BOARDSAILING ASSOCIATION <http://www.sfba.org/>
SFBAeNews by George Haye <geohaye@yahoo.com-DeleteThis>
"It's a beautiful Bay, don't let it get away." Bono/U2 ;)

1. SFO PILEDRIVING - 16 HOURS PER DAY FOR 3 YEARS
2. SFBA'S PETER THORNER AND WILLIE BROWN ON KGO TV
3. GOOD ELECTION NEWS - THE VOTES ARE COUNTED HERE!
4. **SEND AN EMAIL...PROTECT DOUG'S BEACH!**

---
1. SFO PILEDRIVING - 16 HOURS PER DAY FOR 3 YEARS
BAARA -- Bay Area Alliance for Responsible Airports (of which SFBA is
a member) activist Linda McKay spoke with SFO engineer Peg Devine
about building the runways on pilings in the Bay. Ms. Devine reports
that the bedrock is 320 feet deep and if SFO uses pilings, it will
require 16 hours of pile driving per day... for 3 years. It will
have to be day drilling because night drilling will be "untenable."
Just a thought: wouldn't day drilling also be "untenable?" SFBA will
continue to work to prevent the runways, whether SF & SFO hope to
build them by Bay fill, or by pilings.

2. SFBA'S PETER THORNER AND WILLIE BROWN ON KGO TV BY SFBA VICE PRESIDENT PETER THORNER: I did a short live spot on KGO 7 at SFO yesterday [Dec 4] on the heels of Willie Brown. Willie got about four minutes and I had about one, so I couldn't counter all of his points, but here is what the San Francisco Mayor had to say about the Bay: "There is nothing natural about the bay. The bay has been rearranged so many times and on many occasions for the worse." The implication seems to be that it is unreasonable to oppose the degradation of the Bay given the damage already done. This is a good argument for destroying all natural areas that have suffered some loss. Once you start cutting trees in the woods, why stop until you've gotten to the other side?

3. GOOD ELECTION NEWS - THE VOTES ARE COUNTED HERE! Many folks concerned about the environment, clean water, clean air, and San Francisco Bay were angered by the spineless U.S. Supreme Court majority and their decision to not fully count the votes for U.S. President this time around. So, the good news today was for locals only: Almost all of the candidates endorsed by San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown were defeated in yesterday's runoff elections -- thus breaking Willie's complete domination of the Board of Supervisors. Several candidates who won have stated that they are opposed to filling the Bay for new runways.

4. **SEND AN EMAIL...PROTECT DOUG'S BEACH!** Doug's Beach in the Gorge, one of the best windsurfing spots anywhere, needs our help. Info from Diane Barkhimer and our friends at the CGWA (Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association) <http://windsurf.gorge.net/cgwa/>: CGWA has been monitoring and commenting since 1998 on the proposed double siding (double tracks) at Doug's Beach. Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway Company has submitted "new" plans for the siding. [CGWA] just found out today [Dec 12, 2000] that the deadline for submitting public comment on the proposal is December 20, 2000. Below is the letter that [the CGWA] faxed to the Columbia River Gorge Commission. They can approve or not approve the proposed plan. We're asking for a public hearing. [Read the letter for more info!]

Would you please send your comments (even if you don't personally sail at this site), asking for a public hearing to the Gorge Commission? You do not have to go into detail, but you do need to:

Reference your letter or Email using this information: C99-0007-K-G-11, Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway Company

You may mail or fax your letter using the address in the [CGWA] letter below or send it:

by EMAIL: <crgc@gorge.net-DeleteThis> or by FAX: (509) 493-2229

**Note -- If the double tracks plan goes through, Washington Parks will have to provide a pedestrian tunnel (per the RR) for access. This will cut down on the parking.

**On an even larger note -- Washington Parks is having to trim their budget and they are going back to the last list of parks to close. Doug's Beach was on that list. [CGWA fought that closure.] -=- "December 13, 2000

Ms. Claire Puchy, Executive Director Columbia River Gorge Commission P.O. Box 730 White Salmon, WA 98672

Regarding Ref #: C99-0007-K-G-11, Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway Company

Dear Ms. Puchy,

The Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association represents approximately 1,000 members nationwide including Canada and Europe. We are a nonprofit organization dedicated to enhance the windsurfing experience for all windsurfers on the Columbia River. Our main function as an Association is to maintain, improve, and create new windsurfing sites. We are committed to this purpose.

The Association is quite concerned about the proposed project of the double tracks east of Lyle, Washington near the Doug's Beach windsurfing area. This site is a highly used and popular sailing area with thousands of visitors who come to the Gorge every year from around the world.

A 10,000 foot-long siding extending "from a point 1,600 feet east of the easterly Lyle railroad tunnel, westerly past Doug's Beach State Park and terminating at a point 700 feet east of the Doug's Beach State Park pedestrian rail crossing" would mean that trains would extend over the crossing during shuttling onto and from the siding from the east. The potential for significant and prolonged blockage of the crossing exists.

The proposed siding would completely block Doug's West. Even though Doug's West is now "off limits," people may be using it, and a siding would make such usage much more dangerous.

Sailors leaving the Doug's Beach site walking back to their cars would not be able to see east bound trains with parked trains blocking their view. This is an extremely dangerous situation when sailors are carrying their gear across the tracks; even with the crossing guards.

Any shortening of the depth of the parking would also create a hazardous situation as many windsurfing vehicles are longer than the average auto and loading and unloading of gear may extend that operation onto the highway. We believe that a public hearing is absolutely necessary to address our concerns for the safety of many. Thank you for your attention to this extremely important matter.

[Be sure to include your name and full mailing address.]