2 great days

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 01:29:43 PDT

Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 01:29:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@zonker.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis
Subject: 2 great days

============= Fri 14 Jul 00 - 3rd - 5.4/257 (195#) 4:40-6:15

At last, a classic 3rd Ave Day! Ebb tide all afternoon, a good NW
direction, and all the wind my 5.4 could eat. The swell came in both
big wide sets for long sweeping jibes and some smaller faces for
jumping.

The wind backed off around 5:30, however.

The common comment was "Now I remember why I love 3rd Ave!"

Only 50 cars there.

============= Sat 15 Jul 00 - 3rd - 5.4/257 (195#) 4:30-6:30

We know that great days never come in pairs, but Michael and I were so
stoked by Friday that he came over to help me pack for moving Saturday
morning. This built up enough good spousal karma for me to bail on the
moving job in the afternoon. We went to 3rd and arrived around 4:00 to
find the lot parked clear out to the stoplight!

But we got another great day! Just about the same wonderful conditions.
The wind was all we could handle on our normal sails at first, then
tapered off, but more slowly than Friday.

On Friday, one of the two fin bolts on my Tiga rusted through and broke
off. On Saturday, my boom Fibersnapped. It was the normal place - right
where the arm joins the head. The good thing was that this boom was
4 years old, with about 55 sessions on it, which seems quite reasonable.
(There was a time when these were only lasting 6-18 months.) I turned
over the boom so I could sail in, put on another and went back out.

After sailing, Michael's Enduro seemed heavy. Then he noticed a trickle
of water from the tail. Then when he stood it on end, a stream of water
shot out at the finbox. A trip to ASD confirmed his worst fear:
"It's delaminated, Jim." Recommended treatment: chainsaw and dumpster.

Ken Poulton
poulton@labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis

"Who, after all, can plot a single day's journey on the water, much less
foresee a life that follows no riverbed?" -- Steve Faulkner