301 Airport Blvd/Coyote Point Development

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 16:04:54 PDT

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 19:04:54 EDT
Subject: 301 Airport Blvd/Coyote Point Development
To: wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis, billrx@worldnet.att.net-DeleteThis, bobindig@home.net-DeleteThis, geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis, Randyboz@aol.com-DeleteThis, karinaoc@earthlink.net-DeleteThis, Robberson.Bill@epamail.epa.gov-DeleteThis, OConnor.Karina@epamail.epa.gov-DeleteThis, harris4life@yahoo.com-DeleteThis, CoyoteSurf@aol.com-DeleteThis, bdow@cisco.com-DeleteThis, TFeldstein@grmslaw.com-DeleteThis, mtischler@mail.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis, jrunge@netcom.com-DeleteThis, jmcgrath@portoakland.com-DeleteThis, lstanley@stanleyrose.com-DeleteThis, ErikRog@aol.com-DeleteThis, buck@velaresorts.com-DeleteThis, david@windcall.com-DeleteThis, carlyle@savesfbay.org-DeleteThis, jameslord@pacbell.net-DeleteThis, cems1@earthlink.net-DeleteThis, Berteva50@aol.com-DeleteThis, clem.wang@altavista.com-DeleteThis (Clem), peter@windsurfers.net-DeleteThis (Peter Liu), gerry_owen@hp.com-DeleteThis (Gerry), ggbsf@earthlink.net-DeleteThis (Gary), nmackisoc@yahoo.com-DeleteThis, David_McGillicuddy@urscorp.com-DeleteThis, MStokowski@evokesoft.com-DeleteThis, sewing@nbn.com-DeleteThis, windrider@protectourbay.com-DeleteThis (Richard Zimmerman), allen.zimmermann@gte.net-DeleteThis, danf@juniper.net-DeleteThis (Dan Farmer), emunyak@argotech.com-DeleteThis (Ed Munyak), hunthy@sirius.com-DeleteThis (Hunt Hyde), jaime@lvision.com-DeleteThis (Jaime Cordera), kellywee@pacbell.net-DeleteThis (Kelly Wee), Leo_Bragagnolo@sfport.com-DeleteThis, puehlin@keynote.com-DeleteThis (Peter ,Uehlin), sfs1234@yahoo.com-DeleteThis (Shawn Storm), SSS4@pge.com-DeleteThis (Steve Schleimer), TAXWIND@aol.com-DeleteThis, janhalt@wenet.net-DeleteThis, benitaz@msn.com-DeleteThis, hangtime@hotmail.com-DeleteThis, jip@chrm.com-DeleteThis, peteru@earthlink.net-DeleteThis, gerry_owen@hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, suwanda@earthlink.net-DeleteThis, Ssuwanda@miadora.com-DeleteThis, JParkmann@chrm.com-DeleteThis (Jane Parkmann), adam.donovan@pbdir.com-DeleteThis, mrmarcucci@yahoo.com-DeleteThis, PRevier@savesfbay.org-DeleteThis

Update re. 301 Airport Boulevard Development

The Burlingame City Council met for a study session regarding the 301 Airport
Boulevard development on June 7th. At a future meeting, they will be voting
on the question of whether or not they should overturn the 6-0 vote of the
Planning Commission which effectively rejected the developer's plan. At this
point it is unclear whether or not they will vote on the matter on June 19th.
They may vote at a later date depending on whether the Planning Department
can compile new information for the Council.

The developer, Glenborough, has added an option wherein they would build a
daycare center for approximately 100 children on a notch of the property that
lies between the main part of the lot and Beach Road. If they build this
daycare center, they would lose some parking area and would need an action by
the Council or Commission that would allow them to have 40% of the parking
spaces for compacts as opposed to 20% as called for in the code/guidelines.

City Councilman Galligan asked the developer if they could have more ground
space free for pedestrians by having fewer building with more floors per
building. Dan Levin of Glenborough indicated that they could go with two
7-story buildings of about 100' in height (vs. four 4-story buildings
currently proposed). Galligan also suggested that the developer should make a
contribution to a Lion's Club, along the lines of $1,000,000, project as a
voluntary contribution/mitigation. Councilman Coffey also asked about the
logistics of a contribution to the Lion's Club. Mayor/Councilwoman O'Mahoney
suggested that she would like to see an increase in the amount of funds
provided by the developer for roadway or bike path improvements in the
project vicinity.

The City Council limited groups to 5 minutes testimony and individuals to 3
minutes of testimony. Planning Commissioner Stanley Visitica spoke on behalf
of the Planning Commission and was initially limited to 5 minutes of
testimony by Mayor O'Mahoney. Councilman Spinelli requested that Visitica be
given additional time and O'Mahoney granted more time. Vistica asked the
Council to respect the decision of the Planning Commission and hold out for a
better design. The Mayor of San Mateo and a neighborhood group also testified
in opposition. I made an effort to explain our concerns about the wind
impacts and the way the environmental impact analysis had been handled, but
was very limited within the time frame. Jaime Cordera, George Haye and Benita
Zimmerman also testified.

Galligan asked me if the removal of the drive-in screens wouldn't more than
make up for the impacts of the buildings. I explained that the screens have a
lower turbulent effect because they are on an angle relative to the wind and
they present a smaller blockage.

Galligan said that he sees hundreds of windsurfers at other locations besides
Coyote Point and he essentially asked if Coyote Point was really important in
terms of capacity. I explained that Coyote Point has the best capacity and is
appropriate to all levels of windsurfer. I pointed out that we have lost
capacity at Third Avenue and that other sites and that most other sites are
not appropriate for beginners or early intermediate windsurfers. George Haye
later pointed out that Coyote is sailable on all tides.

Galligan also asked if the SFBA had any insurance to cover protect the City.
The implication seemed to be that the City is at risk if windsurfing occurs
in or near the City. I indicated that we only have insurance for race events.
I told the Council that I was not aware of any suit wherein a windsurfer sued
a municipality. George Haye later pointed out that other activities such as
walking and biking are conducted in Burlingame without insurance.

After the meeting, I learned that The Independent newspaper had run a
front-page article entitled "Questions loom over Galligan." I was quoted and
a description of my efforts to have the Fair Political Practices Commission
(FPPC) advise Galligan not to vote were detailed. I had asked the FPPC to
advise Galligan against voting based on the fact that he owns $1,600,000
worth of stock in Greater Bay Bancorp, the banking group that has financed
the developer's purchase of the development property. Galligan also was
previously a director of Mid-Peninsula Bank, the lending bank. It looks like
Galligan was shifted to the board of a Peninsula Bank of Commerce, a sister
bank, either after the loan was made to the developer or within a roughly
three month period before the loan was made. Mid-Peninsula Bank and Peninsula
Bank of Commerce are both wholly owned by Greater Bay Bancorp.

The next Council meeting should be the action meeting, possibly on June 19th.
Any message to the City Council will need to be transmitted in 3 minute sound
bites unless people want to write beforehand. Letters should go out ASAP to
the Planning Department so that they reach the Council members sooner:

Meg Monroe, City Planner
Planning Department
501 Primrose
Burlingame, CA 94010
(650) 558-7250

I will post an update on the action date when I know more.

Peter Thorner
San Francisco Boardsailing Association