Re: Winter Sailing Tips?

From: John Frazier (Frazier1@ix.netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Nov 10 1999 - 23:12:28 PST

Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 23:12:28 -0800
From: John Frazier <Frazier1@ix.netcom.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Winter Sailing Tips?

> 0) How do you know when to get in the car and go? Obviously
> if the trees are bent double . . .

If the Wind is south it will strengthen until the front comes. Then after the
rain/front it stops and starts W or NW. I really just listen to the trees to
alert me, along with some satellite photos to tell me when to be aware. Or be
your own weatherman if you have time.

> 1.2) Why was Berkeley so strong Sunday? I would have thought
> on a SE Berkely would be in the lee of its own hills.

That SE wind came from about the direction of downtown Oakland at around 1 when
I was sailing, leaving room for a little more easterly. But the hills may be the
reason for the 1 or 2 min long gusts/lulls (from 4.5m sail for a minute or so
then a 6m sail needed) that annoyed so many.

> 2) Do you worry about water quality if you sail after a
> storm?

Yes, I've begun to take the only advice I've found, from Santa cruz county:
don't swim for 3 days after a storm. They also test regularly:
http://www.co.santa-cruz.ca.us/eh/index.htm
That advice is not for a bay where the water remains for longer. Also Berkeley
marina has had a problem with their sewage pipe backing up, last winter during
any rain raw sewage and runoff was bubbling out of a manhole cover behind the
bait shop and running into the harbor...they may be fixing it, we'll see if it
works.

Does anyone test the bay regularly and issue warnings and such?

> 3) How do you explain this to your SO who got neglected
> in the summer and was promised that the season is
> "only 3 months long"?

Someday I will die, now I will live.

> Thanks,
> Bob