Re: Albany WS Site

From: Booker Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Oct 13 1999 - 10:00:11 PDT

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 10:00:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: Booker Bense <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Albany WS Site

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999 rossb@wellsfargo.com-DeleteThis wrote:

> I'm worried that the sand beach is recessed and that it will be hard to get
> upwind and out of it so that you can sail above the point where the old rock
> jetties are. I haven't been there in years so I'm not sure what there is
> now for a beach. I remember biking across one that was between the race
> track and the new park. I think that in a regular WSW you'd have to get
> upwind 1/4 to 1/2 mile to get a decent lengh reach--one long enough to get
> upwind.

- That was my thought as well. If you could get access to the very end
of the point that would be great. I sail pretty often between there
and the kite park. As I recall there is a bit of wind shadow if you
get too far downwind in that area. It could be a great beginner spot,
consistant onshore winds on a fairly nice sandy beach. I have no idea
how far the sand extends into the water.

- BTW, there appears to be something going on a the end of the
point. There was some kind of temporary dock or something out
there at the end of the summer.

- Booker C. Bense