RE: LASIK Surgery?

From: David Veach (dveach@basisinc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 14:35:16 PDT

From: "David Veach" <dveach@basisinc.com-DeleteThis>
To: "Wind_Talk" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: LASIK Surgery?
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 14:35:16 -0700

Justin, et. al,

I had RK done back in Jan 1993 and I can say with out a doubt, not having to
wear glasses for my sporting activities is a joy. The procedure I had (RK)
is much different than either PRK or LASIK (which were not available then)
however the results are similar and I can attest to the comments Pierre made
below. I don't think anybody does RK anymore because it is so much more
invasive.

My wife worked for VISX, one of the two main manufacturers (and the most
successful) of the laser systems used in these procedures. She was there
during the clinical trials and the inital FDA aprovals a few years back. I
can tell you through my own experience and the knowledge I gained through
her, you absolutely must do your homework! Investigate both PRK and LASIK.
Make sure you get an understanding of the procedures and the
benefits/disadvantages of each one. If the doctor doesn't seem to know,
shop around. You need to talk to as many doctors as you can anyway to get
the different opinions and then form your own. It's _your_ eyes man!

One thing to keep in mind is different people have much different
"sensitivities" when it comes to their eyes. I got very used to the anoying
feeling of dust or dirt in my eyes with contacts and such so that the
recovery process, probably even harder with RK, was no big deal. I did mine
on a Thursday before a 3-day weekend, took Friday off, and was back to work
on Tuesday.

For me it was a matter of convenience that outweighed the risks. I
windsurf, waterski, scuba, and I hated dealing with glasses all the time and
I constantly lost contact lenses. My vision was not good and the RK got me
close to 20/20 but not quite. It does drop at night and I usually wear a
pair of glasses for night driving. I knew my vision would not be perfect
and there would be other artifacts of the surgury. I made the choice and so
far it has been a positive one. In 20 years when I'm in my late 50's, well,
who knows. Only time will tell.

        - dave veach