Oct. Forecasts

From: Mike Godsey (windfind@metro.net-DeleteThis)
Date: Sat Oct 02 1999 - 08:56:10 PDT

Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 08:56:10 -0700
Subject: Oct. Forecasts
From: "Mike Godsey" <windfind@metro.net-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@jr.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

Hi Gang

Due to many requests the Call of the Wind forecasts will continue through
Oct. on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. The Friday forecast will be of lower
quality than usual since I will lose the weather pattern flow on my off
days. By Saturday morning the forecast should be nearly up to its normal low
quality. ; )

If there is anything you would like different about the forecasts next year
let me know.

What would really help be fine tune the forecast is more reports from the
water. When I don't get on site reports I have to base my adjustments to the
model data for the next days forecast on sensor data. You know the problems
with the sensors.

I would appreciate brief messages about the days sailing conditions eg. sail
size, board, wt. and the flavor of the wind. Any patterns you have noted
would also be useful. Send them to mike@windcall.com-DeleteThis

Thanks to your help each year the forecasts are slowly improving....at least
according to my data. Next year forecasts will start March 1 2000. There is
a chance I may be in Baja during part of March. I will also be in San Carlos
for 2 weeks in late May. Jim will post NWS and SFO forecasts.

For those of you who are thinking of Baja this winter. You have to try La
Ventana. For winter sailing it is the best I have ever found.

Most reliable winter winds in Baja since it has El Norte and a local thermal
wind. The incredibly steady wind is strong side shore (last season, at 180
lbs and 8'4" board, the only sail I rigged was a 4.5 for a month). The wind
starts each day around 11am and reliable dies at 5PM. Huge swell on strong
days with clean lines of swell and no cross swell. There is a 8 mile beach
downwind so you can sail forever yet have a parachute downwind. Easy launch
with no shorebreak since the sand bar breaks the swell. Best winds Dec. 1 to
Feb. 15. but it can blow from Nov. 1 to Mid-march.

Good learning site since there is a shallow sandbar about 300 feet from
shore. There are two areas where the swell peaks up and breaks on bars and
you can get in on or two bottom turns.
 Great camping and two B&Bs. Very inexpensive compared to Los Barilles. Not
for those who like crowds, hotels or need night life. Great fishing,
kayaking, mountain biking and a huge Island to explore. Hope to see you
there.

Mike Godsey