"Some days are diamonds, some days are rough"

From: zeev_gur@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon Sep 13 1999 - 16:51:04 PDT

From: zeev_gur@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis
Subject: "Some days are diamonds, some days are rough"
To: wind_talk@jr.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Cc: The_Gang@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis, michael_imperiale@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis, karen_rist@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis, Galia_Gur@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis, kami.semick@rates.com-DeleteThis, glenn_wada@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis, LNUSRN1.DZPN65@gmeds.com-DeleteThis, cdycus@silknet.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 19:51:04 -0400

It takes a few rough days to really appreciate the "diamonds".
Yesterday was of the diamond variety, so I though I would share.

We woke up in the Oakland hills, way before we were ready (we have a 2.5
year old) to total fog. The wind chimes were singing which
is a good sign that there is a good pressure gradient between SFO-SAC.
The day before it blew all day, so we decided to give it a shot.

Got to the levee road around 9:30. Saw lots of small sails standing
upright - not a good sign. Passed Justin around the sign.
Drove further up the river, same deal. "Crap,
we missed it" someone said, I think it was Johanna ;-)

We really wanted to sail, so Jo went out on the big set-up: 5.7/Techno.
She had no problem getting powered. That is a big board for a person
her size. The water was pretty flat and it was nice and warm. Jo was
having
a great session. She sailed 4.5 hours without stopping - pretty awesome
when someone gets in a nice rhythm. Reminds me of making turns on skis.
It was fun watching her blaze by people with much bigger stuff - I wish I
was
lighter ;-) Justin was out blazing on his 7.7/Mike Lab - nice looking
board.
Man can that dude sail fast on all points of sail.

My turn came. Out I went on 6.2/Techno. Had to pump a bit to get on a
plane.
The water was flat and smooth, really fun to go fast. Justin and I started
sail upwind of the access. About 45 minutes into the session and pretty
far
from the lauch,my port side harness line breaks. I decided to keep sailing
as the wind was really nice and steady. Hey, all the working out needs to
come into play right? wrong. You can not sail for a long time w/out using
a harness. After 30 minutes I went back and put on new harness lines.

Back out to the water. Nicely powered. Having fun. Screaming back and
forth. Fast jibes on the far side of the river - really a blast to lay
those mothers
down. On one of my return runs, I hear/feel a loud "crack" from the fin.
Damn I
think, must have been a big ass fish I hit. I decided to sail to the beach
to check
out fin/fin box. 30 seconds into my reach SNAP, the fin goes to the bottom
of the river. Time to practice the harness trick. No fin + flood tide =
lots of work.
On the beach I met another sailor who hit the same fish: it was actually a
big
subrged log which was floating below the surface of the river.

Made it back no problem. Slapped on another fin and played for another
hour.
We had a kick ass dinner w/Justin at Chevy's: man, margaritas sure do taste
good after a long day of sailing with friends. Wind, sun, family,
friends.....man,
life is sweet. Hope your weekend had a few diamonds as well.

Zeev Gur
Enterprise Performance Management - Professional Services
Western Region and Canada
(925) 730-1875
http://corp.i.peoplesoft.com/services/epm/index.html