San Mateo City Residents - create new spot for windsurfing

From: George Haye (geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Sat Aug 21 1999 - 09:06:18 PDT

From: "George Haye" <geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: San Mateo City Residents - create new spot for windsurfing
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 09:06:18 PDT

SEAL POINT!

We are working on a new windsurf spot just upwind of 3rd Avenue!

If you are a San Mateo CITY resident, send me an e-mail:
geohaye@hotmail.com.-DeleteThis

- I will keep all the San Mateo CITY resident windsurfers up-to-date on the
process and what they can do to help. (There will be opportunities to send
letters of support, etc.)

- Windsurfing is in the plans for SEAL POINT PARK already, but if San Mateo
City residents show interest, the parking lot, windsurfing ramp, etc. will
probably be built much sooner. There is a lot of work to be done, the
landfill needs to be capped, etc., but if San Mateo City residents show
enough interest, we may have a new spot as soon as 2002 or 2003. If we don't
show interest, the windsurf facilities may be a low priority and may not be
built until years later than that. The San Mateo Shoreline Plan is a 20-year
plan and includes several different parks to be developed (only one with
possible windsurf access.)

- It has become clear that since SEAL POINT will be a San Mateo City park,
input from San Mateo City resident-windsurfers is what really matters. In
fact, input from non-San Mateo City residents would definitely hurt our
cause. That's OK, we can do this. Besides, it's a multi-use City park and
the City can do anything they want with it -- they've chosen to include
windsurfing and I'm pretty stoked!

*** If you know of any windsurfers who live in San Mateo CITY and who are
not on wind_talk, feel free to forward this e-mail to them.

- For general info and status of SEAL POINT, read the June 1999 S.F.B.A.
newsletter. The Seal Point article is on page 2. A couple updates to that
article: the park will start with a 60 car (non-paved) lot which can be
expanded to 100 if the 60 car lot often fills up, and the Park will not be
open until at least 2002 or 2003 because of all the work that needs to be
done. Here's the newsletter link: - http://www.sfba.org/news.html.

-George Haye (geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis)

SFBA Website: http://www.sfba.org/