Airport expansion crosspost

From: Jeff Milum (jmilum@saba.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Aug 09 1999 - 10:21:58 PDT

From: Jeff Milum <jmilum@saba.com-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Airport expansion crosspost
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 10:21:58 -0700

This is an intersting post from rec.windsurfing

I am posting to get as many people as involved as possible.

There's a meeting in SF on Tuesday night as George's email had stated.

 If you ever wish to sail on the San Francisco Bay You are an Interested
Party
Please Read and Then Write.

Speaking of disasters, I am quite alarmed by the threat to the Bay and to
windsurfing because of the airport project to expand the runway.

Today in San Mateo, I attended and was among twenty people (18 opposed, two
in favor) who spoke at the environmental "Scoping Meeting" for the Airport
expansion, where the airport and the FAA asked for input on what to study in
the Environmental Impact Report/Study for the runway extensions into the
Bay. .

As proposed by the airport, the runway extension project will END
WINDSURFING
FOREVER (absolutely no exaggeration) at Flying Tigers, Oyster Point, Embassy
Suites, Coyote Point and the new Seal Rock location. Most likely,
windsurfing will be lost at Third Avenue and Old Third Avenue. This is
seven
sites lost forever, and not just seven sites, but some of the best sites in
the Bay and in the country. There will no access because runways will be
constructed, no wind because bay fill will be high enough to block wind,
and
no ramps because tidal flows will be drastically altered.

The airport is trying to move ahead with a proposed project that must pass
state and federal environmental law. The way the laws work is this:

The proposing agencies (SFO/City of San Francisco/Federal Aviation
Administration) must prepare a review of the environmental impacts of the
project (fill in the bay for runways). ALL impacts must be thoroughly
studied. ALL alternatives must be studied. ALL mitigations/methods of
fixing the damage must be presented. The proposing agencies must recommend
alternative ways of proceeding.

So, in addition to the windsurfing impacts (which honestly, impact only a
relatively small group of us in the Bay Area), it is best to think about all
the possible impacts, and to request a detailed, thorough study of each.
The
major categories, in my opinion are:

Loss to wildlife
Loss to the environment
Increased residential noise
Lost windsuring sites
Loss to quality of live
Geological issues
Water quality issues
Air Quality issues
Lack of review of all alternative ways to increase airport capacity
Failure to be sophisticated -- not developing a quality, comprehensive plan

This is not a complete list of the issues, but I urge all of you, especially
the experts in the above categories, or in areas that I have not listed, to
write detailed, thoughtful, firm letters to the two people listed below,
DEMANDING the study of, and answers to, the issues important to you. Be
specific and technical in asking for study and mitigation. Please ask your
friends to do the same.

I am focusing on quality of life, lack of sophistication by the airport,
detailed impact to windsurfing and wildlife loss as my issues. Think about
your issues. You must address your written comments, demanding study of the
issues important to you, to one of the following, BEFORE September 9, 1999:

Ms. HIllary Gitelman,
Environmental Review Officer
1660 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94103

or

Ms. Camille Garibaldi
Federal Aviation Administration
San Francisco Airports District Office
831 Mitten Road, Room 210
Burlingame, CA 94010

The more of us who write letters and the more who address as many issues as
possible, the greater the chance that the runway extensions will be stopped.

I URGE YOU TO WRITE THOUGTHFUL LETTERS, DEMANDING ANSWERS TO YOUR
ISSUES!!!!!! THIS IS NOT THE TIME TO BE BASHFUL!!!!!!!