Upper San Luis Reservior?

From: Brad James (bjames@exponent.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jul 16 1999 - 09:30:05 PDT

From: Brad James <bjames@exponent.com-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Upper San Luis Reservior?
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:30:05 -0700

I'm sure this question has already been asked and discussed here a zillion
times over the years, but I'm going to re-ask it anyway....

What's the deal with the big, upper reservior at San Luis?? Does it get
nice swells?? Will the rangers there let people sail it?? Where do people
launch?? Can I just show up with a buddy and not expect to be hassled??

I have a vauge recollection of hearing that the rangers there require
flares, a buddy, strobes, safety line, a written test, seven redundant forms
of communication, your first child, etc. etc. before they let you go out -
is this right?? As coast and 3rd Ave vetran, I've got a nice 4/3 wetsuit, a
strobe and line, I'll be there with a buddy, -- will that be enough to
convice any overzealous San Luis ranger that I know what I'm doing and wont
endanger myself and others??? - or should I forget about it and get home
early enough to mow the lawn??

By the way, I really have no desire to sail the lower reservior (flat water
and weeds just aren't my thing), but I'll be driving back from San Luis
Obispo/ Arroyo Laguna this weekend and will probably need a wind-fix. (It
dosen't look good at all for wind at A.L this weekend... but hopefully the
surfing will be good!)

Thanks for any help on this!

Brad