Shreman weekend report

From: zeev_gur@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue Jun 01 1999 - 15:37:45 PDT

From: zeev_gur@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Shreman weekend report
Cc: The_Gang@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis, michael_imperiale@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis, karen_rist@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis, glenn_wada@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis, kami_semick@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis, cliff_e._dycus@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis, marc_tindall@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 22:37:45 GMT
To: wind_talk@jr.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

"All the days combined,
They melt into a dream"
               GD

If you don't want to read the details here is a summary. It blew. Hard.

If you do want the details.......The tag line from Wintracks
"It's always better in your back yard" was dead on!!!!!!!!

This was an awesome delta weekend.

I am floating in the Advil zone....the body hurts, everywhere, and I
could not be more happy. The hands are really sore - even gloves
don't help when you sail 10 hours/day. It really was as it good of sailing
as one could ask for: steady strong wind. No bullshit (chasing the
wind/driving, parking,
rigging frenzy, trying to dial into new locations, etc.) just sweet
sailing.
You rig your stuff once in 4.5 days and sail it all weekend long. The days
went something like this. Wake up. Look outside. Drink Coffee (good!).
sail 3-4 hours. Have breakfast. Drink beer. Sit in sun. Eat food.
Drink Water. Sail 3-4 hours. Drink beer. Drink water. Sail until the
sun
sets....eat dinner...drink beer....sail at night...........repeat.

The wind backed off one afternoon, I don't recall which one (Sat?). It was
good break, as it enabled out bodied to heal and do some other
activities. I went for a run which felt great. Saw some folks from this
forum on my run: at Little Baja and the Sign.

The tides and wind were in perfect harmony. Long big ebbs in the am/pm
with kick ass wind. The biggest sail that I used was a 5.4 (200#) - the
sail with PeopleSoft logo on it. The afternoons were warm and pleasant
enabling you to rest and fuel up for the evening sessions. Until this
weekend
I was your typicall ebb snob - I did not sail unless it was an ebb. This
weekend,
I discovered that there is a ton of great sailing, as long as you are
nicely
powered on small gear.

This was our first long stay in our new travel trailer. It's amazing how
much
better you sail when you can sleep through the night and have a cup of
coffee in the am. It is quite a treat to be able to "hang" out of the
wind.
When you are camping, getting a break from the relentless wind is very
nice. Being able to cook out of the wind does not suck either. Having a
freezer
rules (see #11 below).

A sampling of the weekends highlights:
1. Watching Joani surf the swells on a 3.7 sail and 8'5" board - her body
was covered with a wetsuit, but there was a bikini underneath ;-)
2. Finding small waves at Sherman - I will only give the details
to those who go sailing with me.....but one of the islands upwind from
the access roads has a new sand bar....during certain tidal conditions
when the wind/swell are just right. you get some nice peeling waves ;-)
3. Perfect swells, again, upwind from the island - smooth, well spaced
easy to jump in ANY direction, great to crank jibes.
4. Sailing the slack upwind of the access road - as smooth of water as
you can find when you are wound up on a 4.8 sail. Great for screaming
jibes, laydowns and wild wipeouts on duck jibes when you sail gets suck
in the water.
5. Watching the full moon, orange/red, rise in the east as I was flying
on the grey water at 8:40pm. Fully powered on 4.8-amazing ride.
The light got better as the evening progressed and the moon
got higher in the sky
6. River run - one of the afternoons I sailed down to the powerlines and
back.
The swells are different all along the river, as is the wind. I was on a
5.4: at times
it was nuts, at times it was perfect. Much like life.......I cherished the
perfect
times and hung on for dear life during the nuts periods....
7. Playing in the waves with the future world champion windsurfer/skier
who
will give all her old gear to her daddy......my daughter Johanna. She kept
demanding that I let go of the board - "I want to ride the waves by
myself".
8. Rainbow rooster tails - as you sail during the sunset, your and other
people's wakes catch the light at the right angle and create a rainbow. A
rainbow that follows the rider of the wind on their journey across the
bumpy liquid surface. Cool stuff.
9. Elevator jumps - lots of big air this weekend. I love the jumps when
your
timing is just right: you sheet in right, the weight distribution is just
right, you
hit the swell at the right angle, you lift with your feet, tuck the back
leg, open
the bottom of the board to the wind and.....you soar. As you approach the
apex
of your jump, a gust hits you and you keep floating. I had a few of those
sweet
jumps, they are yummy!
10. No hurry - the wind just blew and blew. You did not have to hurry to
get it.
You could take your time to strech out, fine tune your sail, try new fins
and sail
until you "got your fill".
11. Ice cream - the ice cream dude came around playing that annoying song
that you hum for 2 hours after he leaves. The best ice cream was had after
dinner.....Ben & Jerry at the Delta is a bit of heaven on earth.
12. Girl, dog........;-)

Looks like it's still blowing up there. What a killer season we are
having!!!!