Re: releasable foot straps?

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu May 27 1999 - 23:19:46 PDT

Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 23:19:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: releasable foot straps?

> I've heard of several people breaking their ankles while in the footstraps.

Been there, done that. I don't much recommend it...

> How does this happen?
> getting stuck on a shaky jump landing?

Mine was exactly that - a slightly off-balance jump landing in which I
landed and then fell over sideways towards the tail of the board. It
wasn't so much that my feet would not come out as that I had gotten lazy
about yanking them out as I fell.

The other footstrap injury I know of was Larry Dini racing, going fast
way off the wind and sticking the nose into some chop and the board
railed over to leeward. He was off the water for some months with
a sprain.

> I have been keeping the straps
> tightened so that my foot goes it to about an inch above the top of the toes.
> My foot stays in on most landings and doesn't slip through. How tight/loose
> should the straps be?

I think they should not let the ball of your foot pass the center of the
footstrap.

But more importantly is that once you know you're going swimming, yank
your feet out! 999 times out of a 1000, it will happen by itself.
But that other time makes for a hard time getting home.

"Windsurfing is like comedy: timing is everything."
                                        -- Ken Poulton